Are you safe when using a VPN? Maybe not

Reaction score
I am quite concerned with the security on my computer.
I do a lot of transactions on the Internet and for that reason, I purchased a VPN app and installed it.
I use AVAST anti-virus and AVAST incognito window.
I thought I was pretty safe.
Not so! I just used the command,"ipconfig /displaydns" and all the sites I visited, plus some I never heard of, were displayed.
You can follow that command up with,"ipconfig /flushdns" to erase everything but be aware you have to do this every time before shutting down.
Just wanted to put out an alert to those that may not be aware of this.

Reaction score
I used the command "ipconfig/displaydns" to see whats there and beside the sites I frequently visit there were some sites also I have not heard about. It turns out, however, that these sites were simply advertising servers and third-party support servers....

Reaction score
Interesting display. Sad to note that none of the internet forum sites I go to show an AAAA address for IPV6. Including this one.

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But how do I get the results from ipconfig /displaydns to stay on the screen long enough to read it? Mine flashes on screen for about a second then is gone.

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But how do I get the results from ipconfig /displaydns to stay on the screen long enough to read it? Mine flashes on screen for about a second then is gone.

I don't know, but I think a more pertinent question is:

How do I stop people sidetracking my thread and other people's threads?

Reaction score

Open a command prompt window and run ipconfig in there.

Reaction score
I just ran ipconfig /displaydns and every result was a site I recognized. Now I am using a different router from when I did this above on August 19th and now I see AAAA records. Note that the DNS that I am using, in the router and in my PCs are the two Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and the IPV6 equivalent.

(Router was a Dlink 868L and is now an ASUS RT68)

Reaction score
I don't know, but I think a more pertinent question is:

How do I stop people sidetracking my thread and other people's threads?

Well actually Netnanny I was trying a suggestion that was part of this thread. And I also don't believe you were the OP of this thread. And thank you Tim for your answer.

Reaction score
My VPN is always on. I don’t turn it off to check email or log into Facebook or whatever. Are you saying this makes me less anonymous?

Ask a Question