SOLVED Latest Java Update may corrupt your Microsoft Edge Favorites

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Today I received an alert for a new Java update.

After installing this I discovered my Favorites and Favorites Bar settings in Microsoft Edge were corrupted and thus completely disappeared from my Microsoft Edge browser, but also from its default location too.

Fortunately, a simple System restore resolved this immediately. However, this is an issue I know affects some users from time to time when they install other applications or occasionally even when they receive and install a Windows Update. Obviously in that scenario it is not optimal to have to resort to a restore point as then you lose the benefit of the Update which may be a security update.

There is a work-around for this though until Microsoft are able to provide a more permanent solution to this known issue.

Here is how to back up your Microsoft Edge favorites so you don't have to resort to a Restore Point later.

The Microsoft Edge favorites are stored in an ESE file located in a folder called DataStore.

To back this up simply do the following:
  • First close all instances of Microsoft Edge that are currently open.
  • Next, open File Explorer and in its address bar type or copy & paste the following:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default

• Inside the Default folder are a series of folders, one of which is named DataStore
  • Select DataStore then in top toolbar select Copy
  • Now go to any location you want to and Paste a copy to a new location.
  • Note: You must retain the same name of folder (i.e. do NOT rename DataStore)

To restore your favorites later when they are corrupted simply do the following:
  • First close all instances of Microsoft Edge that are currently open.
  • Next go to the location you saved a copy of DataStore | select it and Copy
  • Next, open File Explorer and in its address bar type or copy & paste the following:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default

• Now inside the Default folder simply paste
  • When prompted, click "replace the files in the destination"

Note: As this is only a work-around to the occasional random issue with Microsoft Edge browser, you will need to make this a habitual action. As you know we all from time to time add something new to our Favorites, or Favorites Bar, so likewise, we will need to re-copy the DataStore folder and save it if you want to be able to recover all favorites. It's a bit of a chore I know, but I feel its worthwhile making this effort as the only other resolution right now is to make use of a System Restore point which means you lose the Update or new installed app you just added.

Happy Computing,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
To the site administrators, staff etcetera.

I couldn't make my mind up where to post this. If you feel its a thread that better belongs in Articles, or some place else, feel free to move it. I've just posted it as a tip for everyone.

Regards,

Regedit32

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks Reg.
Moved it to the Software forum (since it involves "software") and made it a Sticky, so it stays at the top.
Much appreciate the heads-up.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just an Update,

I've left it a few hours since restoring PC, and have since gone to http://www.java.com/en/download/win10.jsp and successfully downloaded and installed Version 8, Update 91 using IE11 as the browser.

It was not required but I did a restart of the PC after the install, and this time no corrupted MS Edge Favorites or Favorites bar.

The previous download and install was done via the Java Alert icon that appeared in my System Tray.

This of course could be just pure coincidence re the corrupted MS Edge Favorites and Favorites Bar, hence the thread title's use of "may".

Nevertheless, the suggestion given above is still of use should anyone run into issues installing any new app, update or Windows Update.

PS., thanks Trouble for moving this to the appropriate section on the Forum board.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question