Start up task bar icons dissappear

Reaction score
Happened both at work and home. At work cost 250 to fix. It all starts with the start up and icons dissappering on the lower task bar. They just disappear. You cannot reboot you have to control alt delete and get task bar to reboot. This will work for awhile. Then will stop working and you have to send your PC to the shop for repair. The repair guy could not figure out what happened had to finally get rid of windows 10 and go back to 7.

Scary the same exact thing is starting to happen on my laptop at home. Icons on the lower task bar are gone and I have to use control alt delete to reboot to get them back... scary thing is I know whats coming. I just spent $460 in repairs because the shop couldn't figure out why windows 10 crashed a month ago... the icons did not disappear but I lost EVERYTHING eventually had to put a new solid state hard drive and reload everything from backups. almost lost all my years of quiken but Fortunatly had outside backup.

Similar thing happened at work but started over time... lost icons on lower start up bar and lost program access . the tech shop suggested we go back to windows 7. we did.

HELP
out there is there a problem with windows 10.

I run a auto shop and none NONE of my vendors recommend or approve windows 10 yet. because it is so new out.

I am fearfull after spending almost 1000 at home and at work for similar problem... and the problems are coming back again... is there a fix for this in windows 10. or should I go back to 7 on my home pc.

thanks for any help

royo

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would first remove / uninstall any and all third party security suites and just run with the native Defender product and the Windows firewall.
Then I would ....
Try clean booting the system and see if that produces any relief. Run it like that for a day or two and check Windows Update manually in the interim to make sure everything is up to date.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done and easily undone.
You're basically just disabling all Startup Items and all non-Microsoft services. Do no mess with the Microsoft services. Be sure to check the box to hide them before proceeding.
See if those two tasks provide any relief from the problem.
IF not.....

There is some anecdotal evidence that perhaps some of the several Cumulative Updates for Windows 10 can result in some corruption of your User Profile
I would try creating a new local user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user).
Log off from your account and log back on as the new local user and see if the problem persists.

Ask a Question