Starting download screen

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my Windows7 to Windows10.
I tried yesterday and had a different screen that gave me percentages of download. That one stopped after several hours on getting updates and would not go past 0%.
I stopped that one after midnight and went to bed.
This morning after installing 232 updates to Windows7 my computer asked me if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10.
I answered yes and have been watching a circle go round and the message Starting downloads for several hours now. My light to show hard drive activity on the CPU is staying off too.
Is this normal?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Raybrite,

It sounds like your Windows Update service has hung (timed out). Given the very large number of updates you did for Windows 7, it make take a few hours for your system to stabilize and there may still be some additional updates for Windows 7 to sort out first.

The Windows 10 download is in excess of 4GB so that download alone could take up to 1 hour subject to your download speeds.

To save having to reboot your computer you could simply stop then restart the Windows Update service by doing the following:
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Press A or with mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Press Y or click Yes when prompted
That will open the Administrator: Command Prompt to this prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>

• Type or copy & paste the following command: net stop wuauserv | then press Enter key
  • Type or copy & paste the following command: net start wuauserv | then press Enter key
  • Type or copy & paste the following command: exit | then press Enter key to close the console.

You ought to be able to try again now to download that Windows 10 upgrade update.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since posting I have received a text from my Internet Service Provider that I have used up my allowance for the month.
Now my options are to buy more time, find a DVD with the program on it or wait until May1 to change over.
If I cannot find a DVD, I will need to wait until next month.
Thanks for the very fast reply.
Ken

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Raybrite,

Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate you hit your monthly limit with your ISP, but at least you know there is no issue from that mammoth amount of updates you did; so that is good news. :)

As you do have a limit here is a tip to make note of when you do eventually download and install Windows 10 upgrade. Once its installed and running nicely, you will want to make one important setting regarding your updates to prevent exceeding your limit because of a new feature in Update delivery P2P (peer to peer).

So when Windows 10 is installed and you are logged in to your Desktop do the following:
  • Press Winkey + I or click Start | then select Settings
  • Click Update & security
  • Click Advanced options
  • Click Choose how updates are delivered
  • Turn the toggle button in the window that opens to OFF

That will ensure as you download updates, your PC is not sending bits to other computers on the internet. The principle is the same as programs like uTorrent where by downloading parts of a file from multiple computers online makes things faster for you to download (that feature is great!). The catch however, is you too are sending data to multiple computers online (and that data is part of your ISP's data upload/download limit).

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question