Sticky Cursor

Reaction score
I use my mouse to move my cursor for filling in forms and writing documents - a lot. Since I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 my cursor gets stuck for about 3 seconds on the end of the word before I can move it. It is incredibly annoying and really slows me up. I use the tab key more now to try and overcome this problem in some circumstances but when I am writing freeform and want to dot around correcting spelling mistakes etc this process is now very slow.

In addition - my lap top keeps on closing down for no good reason and restarting is quite a lengthy process as I have fairly old software and this wastes alot to my time waiting for 'add-ins' etc to load.

Using the form to request a print operation, the form goes off the bottom of the screen so the 'print' instruction on the form always scrolling down to before I can click on it. More time wasting and niggly.

Can you help with any of this? Thanks

Reaction score
When a cursor hesitates like that it usually means the system is doing something else so the mouse has to wait.

If it is wireless checking the batteries my help. If it isn't wireless, what type of surface are you using it on?

If something else is happening it may be from several different types of sources. Perhaps the system is checking something online or scanning required by some process.

You might try opening Task Manager and select one of the tabs showing the processes or active utilities. You can select the CPU column to show the most active at the top so you can watch and see if something jumps to the top of the list when the hesitations occur.

Is this one particular program it happens in or system wide?

Reaction score
Thanks - I've realised that it's not the cursor that's sticky - it's the mouse. System wide but not after every operation ie it doesn't have a problem after cutting and pasting. Just most things that I do! I keep swiping my mouse pad and it's ages before it has any effect. Yes, we are wireless, any help most appreciated - i didn't have these problems before I changed to 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my lap top
I keep swiping my mouse pad
form goes off the bottom of the screen
Sounds like your computer may need some device drivers attended to.
Check with the Manufacturer's Support website, plug in the particulars for your specific computer and see what they may have in the way of drivers intended to support the Windows 10 operating system.
Windows 8 and or 8.1 drivers may work if no 10 specific drivers are available. Pay particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Video, Input (keyboard / trackpad), etc.

Try substituting a wired USB mouse and see if you have the same problem.

Reaction score
Sounds like your computer may need some device drivers attended to.
Check with the Manufacturer's Support website, plug in the particulars for your specific computer and see what they may have in the way of drivers intended to support the Windows 10 operating system.
Windows 8 and or 8.1 drivers may work if no 10 specific drivers are available. Pay particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Video, Input (keyboard / trackpad), etc.

Try substituting a wired USB mouse and see if you have the same problem.

Reaction score
Hmm. Rather technical for me - was expecting it to work without driving me nuts. Will try wired mouse but am not sure what to do with information gleaned from that trial. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
was expecting it to work without driving me nuts.
You...... and a whole bunch of other folks :). So you're in good company.
Perhaps if you can provide some specifics regarding your computer someone might be able to help further.
Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete with any additional identifying numbers) for instance..... A Dell XPS 13 is a model number, but it will have additional numbers associated with it that make it distinct from among the many XPS 13 models. Usually found on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop adjacent to "Model:"

Ask a Question