Subtle Hint?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
10166 available now on fast ring.

EDIT: Maybe not so subtle.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Somebody at Microsoft likes to mess with my mind. I'm on computer #2 now and this morning build 10166 showed up in updates so I updated. Computer #1 was a mess and this morning I formatted the drive and did a clean install of build 10162. Of course that put me in the slow ring and it takes about 24 hours for a change to the fast ring to take effect. So I come back to computer #2 with build 10166 installed and used Decrypt to make a .iso disk from the Recovery Image folder. Put the disk in computer 1 and proceeded with the update. Along the way I noticed it indicated it was installing build 10074. Didn't even enter my mind that 10074 was a build from back in April and I, for some reason, thought it somehow was installing a newer build than 10166. After it was finished and I got it opened I knew it didn't look right and then the light bulb came on and I knew what it was. I came back to computer #2 and checked the date on the .esd file in the Recovery folder and sure enough it is dated April 29, 2015. What the heck is going on and why didn't the new build 10166 update the Recovery files?

Anyhow, back to computer #1 and checked for updates. Lo and behold build 10166 appeared and is downloading at the moment. Pretty confusing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What the heck is going on and why didn't the new build 10166 update the Recovery files?
1. Those files in the RecoveryImage folder are never updated and are there and left there so you can go back to which ever build put them there. The only way I've ever found to get those particular files to update is to empty the contents of the folder.
2. The install.esd file is no longer placed there they are now placed in that weird folder at the top of the root of C: that starts with a symbol, inside there inside the sources folder.
That started happening several builds back.

As an aside, I switched mine from Slow to Fast and it didn't even take an hour before it started downloading the update. Maybe 45 minutes.

Reaction score
Dipsy,

1 question :
Are you sure you found install.esd inside Recovery/Image folder ?
Are you sure it did not say install.wim ?

install.wim.jpg

1 reply :
go to This PC > open C ( your local drive ) > $windows.~BT > Sources > scoll down to install.esd.

install.esd.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you.
Mine is a install.wim.
That's why I asked.

Anyway, the build 10166 esd that you are looking for is in the Sources folder.
Refer to my last reply.

Reaction score
Found it. File called Winre.wim. Used it to create a .iso disk but haven't had a chance yet to try it.

Reaction score
Here you go David. Decrypt recognized it and created a .iso disc. Unfortunately the file is dated April so I imagine it would just install 10074 again.

Winre wim.jpg

Reaction score
Don't know what is going on at Microsoft. Almost like two different versions of Windows 10. Computer #1 build 10166 has a recovery folder in Sources and it has a file named Winre.wim. Computer #2 also with build 10166 does not have a recovery partition in sources but instead has a Recovery Image folder in the C: drive and it has an Install.esd file which also happens to be dated April.

Reaction score
If you insist on doing your way, there is nothing more I can tell you.
I'll say this one last time and that will be it.
You need the Install.esd file and it is to be be found in......
This PC > C : > $Windows.~BT > Sources > scroll down to alphabet " I " and find Install.esd.
see my screenshopt I posted earlier.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Jeepers david I didn't mean to get you all in a dither over such an inconsequential thing. Chill out dude! I didn't notice the scroll down to the alphabet in your post and got side lined in the Recovery folder where one would expect to find files necessary to create an install disc which, in fact, Decrypt did with the .wim file. I did scroll down per your last suggestion and found the install.esd file you referenced. I'll do my best to be more observant and try not to upset you again.

Reaction score
OK. All is well now. Followed david's prompt and found the correct .esd file. Created a .iso, formatted the drive and just finished a clean install of build 10166 and everything appears to be working as designed. I noticed during the installation that this build looks to be more like what you would get from a retail install disc as far as setup information and items to complete during the process. I''m guessing that 10166 is pretty close to the RTM build. After I get all my "stuff" installed I'm hoping that previous bugs and glitches will be fixed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I''m guessing that 10166 is pretty close to the RTM build
IDK.... rumors that I've been seeing would suggest that RTM might likely be something with a much higher build number 2xxxx or even higher. Who knows?
After I get all my "stuff" installed I'm hoping that previous bugs and glitches will be fixed.
Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
This is posted over on the winbeta page:

Microsoft has silently switched all Windows Insiders away from the fbl_impressive branch, and moved them over to the TH1 branch. The TH1 branch is where Microsoft is compiling RTM candidates, which means the next build delivered to Insiders can be nothing but an RTM candidate or the RTM itself. You can check to see if Microsoft has moved you over to TH1 by opening Regedit and navigating to HKLM>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>WindowsSelfHost>Applicability and double clicking "BranchName". If you see "TH1" you are ready for the next build.

Looks like Microsoft is able to make registry changes without our knowledge or anything showing that there has been an update or change.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like Microsoft is able to make registry changes without our knowledge or anything showing that there has been an update or change.
I noticed that yesterday when someone on another forum mentioned it.
Not sure if that was a product of 10162 or not but both my Slow Build machine 10162 as well as my Fast Build machine 10166 both reflect TH1 in the registry.
Now just patiently waiting for something to happen and wondering if the FAST versus SLOW setting will have any impact on the delivery of whatever comes next.

Reaction score
Both of mine the same. I saw my old machine actually had a real Windows update from Nvidia that arrived this morning. But I still get those damn two updates for HP that won't install at all. I hope there is a way to ignore updates in the RTM builds.

Ask a Question