SOLVED System Protection

Reaction score
I have a Win 10 Home system.

I have concerns regarding my system restore process

as to what I need to turn on in my system protection options.

Should I turn on my external hard drive in protection settings?

See exhibit--My Passport (F:) in this case.

Is it needed when I do a system restore?

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sys protect quest.jpg
    Sys protect quest.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 147
Reaction score
I have a Win 10 Home system.

I have concerns regarding my system restore process

as to what I need to turn on in my system protection options.

Should I turn on my external hard drive in protection settings?

See exhibit--My Passport (F:) in this case.

Is it needed when I do a system restore?

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
exhibit rev.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can turn on the system restore on your external drive, however for the System itself it is not needed.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the quick response. Appreciate it.

Firstly, your “external hard drive in protection settings?” has nothing to do with your operating system that governs your usability and is a factor of crashing and/or making your system unusable. External HDD’s are a slave drive or an additional drive that you put data and/or some usable software that is used with your operating system that is virtually a backup that will not be affected by an operating system is and whn it crashes. I would strongly suggest that you use a reputable backup software like Macrium Reflect, EaseUS as a backup and not use system restore.

Reaction score
Interesting thread, somewhat different than my thoughts.

I thought turning on system protection allows you to make a restore point, which gives a snapshot of your registry and some other system files on your C: drive. If problems occur, you could return to an earlier restore point and hopefully have the computer running ok, with documents, etc. still available. You could copy documents and other important things to an external drive so they are saved and then look into the problem.

I have a number of external drives, where I save data, etc. If my computer bombs out, these external drives are still ok.

In my situation, I would turn system protection on for the C: drive on and off for the external drives.

Making an image file is much better, but takes more time, more drive space, etc. System protection is fast, uses less space, and would be a good idea when you intend to do something that night cause problems. So, do both.

Jim

Reaction score
Interesting thread, somewhat different than my thoughts.

I thought turning on system protection allows you to make a restore point, which gives a snapshot of your registry and some other system files on your C: drive. If problems occur, you could return to an earlier restore point and hopefully have the computer running ok, with documents, etc. still available. You could copy documents and other important things to an external drive so they are saved and then look into the problem.

I have a number of external drives, where I save data, etc. If my computer bombs out, these external drives are still ok.

In my situation, I would turn system protection on for the C: drive on and off for the external drives.

Making an image file is much better, but takes more time, more drive space, etc. System protection is fast, uses less space, and would be a good idea when you intend to do something that night cause problems. So, do both.

Jim

Yes that is one way of doing things but and what I’ve done for years is, I systematically (that is either daily or weekly, depends on the value of your data) backup my system with a backup software like “Macrium Reflect v7” (that I’ve bought) and that I’ve also installed their pre boot PE feature (see caption) hence, I’ve always got a full copy of my OP/files backup that I can restore anytime from a slave drive. This is the safest and most assuring way of backing your system up, full stop. If you want to save space? Then delete your previous backup and always just keep your latest backup, simple.

image2015-7-31 14_54_10.png

Ask a Question