SOLVED SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Windows 10 boot loop

Reaction score
2009/2010 Acer Aspire 5738DZG
Intel Pentium T4400
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
15.6" screen
Windows 10 x64

When the laptop is turned on, a BSOD appears with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

It automatically restarts after around 5 seconds.

F8 does nothing.

I have booted with a Windows 10 USB flash drive and it shows Preparing automatic repair before showing the BSOD again.

Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Boot from the Windows 10 installation media.
You should be presented with a screen asking for you to pick a language and keyboard layout
On the next screen you should see an option link that says something like Repair Your PC
From there you should be able to get to the advanced trouble shooting options and from their select Start Up Settings and get into Safe Mode.

It looks like a driver issue.
It could be the GPU or it could be any of a number of issues with some of the mainboard components like the chipset driver or the intel controller iastor.sys component.

At least safe mode might allow you to take a look at your dump files and determine what might be causing the Blue Screen.

Reaction score
Boot from the Windows 10 installation media.
You should be presented with a screen asking for you to pick a language and keyboard layout
On the next screen you should see an option link that says something like Repair Your PC
From there you should be able to get to the advanced trouble shooting options and from their select Start Up Settings and get into Safe Mode.

It looks like a driver issue.
It could be the GPU or it could be any of a number of issues with some of the mainboard components like the chipset driver or the intel controller iastor.sys component.

At least safe mode might allow you to take a look at your dump files and determine what might be causing the Blue Screen.
As I said, I was not able to boot from the Windows 10 installation media.

Anyway, I read on the t'Internet that pulling the battery out and then back in and re-turning it on would make the system boot.

I definitely didn't think it would work but for some reason, it did!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anyway, I read on the t'Internet that pulling the battery out and then back in and re-turning it on would make the system boot.

I definitely didn't think it would work but for some reason, it did!
Good to hear.
Sounds like an excellent time for a critical data back up and a system image.
Unless the BSOD was just a one off (which is possible I suppose) it's likely to return.

I noticed that Acer Support is only listing drivers for Windows 7 for that machine.
That may be an indication that you may have some problems getting all your hardware to work all the time with Windows 10, or......
It could mean nothing at all.

In any event I'm glad that you've got it back up and running for now.

Ask a Question