this app (in chinese characters) is preventing you from shutting

Reaction score
Hi, just switched from Win 7 to 10. I had initially added a Chinese keyboard setting for writing or reading Chinese (taking chinese classes) and also a chinese software. The software was uninstalled just prior to the update and the 2 keyboard things were removed after. Anyhow, that's it, I did nothing 'Chinese after that, and yet, when rebooting I got the above message, "this app (in chinese characters) is preventing you from shutting''. How can this be? Where does it come from? Since my keyboard no longer has chinese, actually doing a search for such a file will be impossible--besides the fact that I can't really read Chinese anyways. So how do I find such an app and get rid of it?

(BTW, unlike Win 7 now on boot I get HP Solution center loading as well and don't know what to disable since doing so may actually disable the printer.)

Reaction score
Suggestions :

1. Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

2. Create another user account with exactly the same privileges as this one.
Logon to the new account. Use it and test it if you have the same issue upon reboot.
If no such problem, my conclusion is a corrupt user account.
Backup whatever you want to keep and delete the corrupt account.

Last edited:
Reaction score
David, my email shows you saying: " Create another user account with exactly the same privileges as this one.
Logon to the new account. . . . "

I went to find out how to create another account and strangely enough it is NOT at all how it is shown elsewhere. I'll explain. On the various FAQ, it shows "Add a family member" whereby I'm supposed to be given 2 choices 'local' or 'microsoft account'' the latter needing an email. I do not have the 1st choice and I can not nor will not add one with an email (there is no other email to give) in my other choice, 'friend' there too it is asking me for a phone number or email. What are they (Microsoft) kidding? This business of it wanting to call home in all cases possible, in the name of security, really bugs me. And here's why. I am teaching my 79 year old mom to use a pc for the 1st time--she has no email and wont need one either. Her learning is just to use skype so she can talk to me.

At this moment I am in the process of trying point 1. I had gone to point 2 as I was waiting for point 1 to do its thing. I'll get back to here as soon as I can (to explain my mom thing above, I leave the continent for a year in 18 hours--which includes my sleep time while still here)

Reaction score
OK I did point 1 twice and always the same: ''No integrity violation". Unfortunately with so little time left I wonder what could be done. since point 2 seems undoable as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.
Since I am no longer in the country where the PC in question is I can no longer solve this problem. The thread can not be marked as solved since it hasn't but if it can be closed somehow pls let me know.

Thanks again

Ask a Question