Thumbnails of apps in start menu are not showing

Reaction score
Whenever I search up applications in the windows start menu, some of the applications' thumbnails/icons have the "missing picture icon." While my pc runs normally, this visual glitch is a lingering eyesore. Does anyone know how I can resolve this? Here is a quick video of the two screenshots I took.

Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting problem!

It might be worth running the app store troubleshooter and see if it comes up with anyway. Just search for "troubleshoot app" on the start menu, then click the "find and fix problems with Microsoft store apps" link.

Out of interest, have you restarted your PC to see if this fixes the problem (not a shutdown, but a restart - as this bypasses a few things that speed up boot time, but may mean the problem continues). It's usually my first thing to try when an oddity like this happens.

Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Another thought.

If that fails, you could try rebuilding the icon cache. You'd need to navigate to : C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

Then, delete all files beginning with iconcache. Then reboot and see if it's fixed.

Ask a Question