Thumbnails of apps in start menu are not showing

Reaction score
Whenever I search up applications in the windows start menu, some of the applications' thumbnails/icons have the "missing picture icon." While my pc runs normally, this visual glitch is a lingering eyesore. Does anyone know how I can resolve this? Here is a quick video of the two screenshots I took.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting problem!

It might be worth running the app store troubleshooter and see if it comes up with anyway. Just search for "troubleshoot app" on the start menu, then click the "find and fix problems with Microsoft store apps" link.

Out of interest, have you restarted your PC to see if this fixes the problem (not a shutdown, but a restart - as this bypasses a few things that speed up boot time, but may mean the problem continues). It's usually my first thing to try when an oddity like this happens.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Another thought.

If that fails, you could try rebuilding the icon cache. You'd need to navigate to : C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

Then, delete all files beginning with iconcache. Then reboot and see if it's fixed.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for replying back! The "troubleshoot app" did not work and just resulted in saying "Troubleshooter couldn't find any problems."

I also tried out rebuilding the icon cache, but I came across a problem after \%username%\, I couldn't find \App Data\. This was all that I saw: (attached image). Where do I find the next directory?

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 151

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a hidden folder, but if you manually type it (or paste it) in to the Windows explorer address bar, it'll take you there :). Or, you can change your options to show hidden files/folders.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for replying back! The "troubleshoot app" did not work and just resulted in saying "Troubleshooter couldn't find any problems."

I also tried out rebuilding the icon cache, but I came across a problem after \%username%\, I couldn't find \App Data\. This was all that I saw: (attached image). Where do I find the next directory?
If you are typing that command the space between App and Data will break it. I Copied what Lan posted [the bold text] and Pasted, worked fine. The iconcache data appeared in the right panel but had to disregard the left panel, doesn't open the full path.
1612711909344.png

Reaction score
I suspect !!? For username, you must change it to your own username of course eg.
%username% becomes in my case Dave.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I suspect !!? For username, you must change it to your own username of course eg.
%username% becomes in my case Dave.
It'll do it automatically even typing it with %username% in place of the actual name, it's treated as a variable that Windows will recognise - handy :D.

Ask a Question