Win 10 taskbar thumbnails disappear after couple of seconds

Reaction score
Good day
I bought a new HP laptop and installed the minor applications for work.
Bitdefender, Office, SAP, etc...

However since day one I have this issue where the taskbar tumbnails disappear after a couple of seconds when hovering over them. This is SO frustrating! I have ALOT of applications open and therefore need to constantly switch between them. For the thumbnail to just disappear is horrific!

Has anyone ever experienced this and how to fix it? I am wondering if this is not some application running in the background doing this. I tried closing multiple applications in task manager, but with no luck.

Reaction score
Does the Taskbar also disappear? Do the ICONS come back if you hover the mouse over them? There is a feature on the right-click of the Taskbar and Taskbar Settings where the Taskbar, and the ICONS on it, can be hidden. Also check settings for Tablet mode.

EDIT: Also be aware of a setting [haven't had to use it for awhile] where a program can actually cover the taskbar, something about "always on top".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Bighorn
No the taskbar does not disappear. When I hover between my previewed thumbnails in the taskbar (lets take for example 5 word documents that are open), then while I am hovering over one of them to display me the detail it will just suddenly disappear. Then I have to start again to click on the taskbar, hover over the open window etc etc.

Reaction score
Since it's a new computer you need to get the OEM or Vendor involved while the warranty is still in effect, you may have gotten a bad one.

Reaction score
With Safe Mode a lot of device drivers [software] doesn't get loaded, could be there's an issue with the Display drivers. What has worked a couple of times on clients' computers was to delete the display drivers in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows reinstall.

Ask a Question