Taskbar completely unresponsive after upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7

Reaction score
Hello everyone. A few days ago I upgraded to Windows 10 and the installation went smoothly. I played around with it for awhile and really liked it, however, when I booted up my PC the next day, my taskbar was completely unresponsive. I can't open my start menu or click on any of the icons (I can't even open the Personalize or Display Settings from right clicking on my desktop). Before upgrading I never faced this issue on Windows 7 and it's really hurting my overall enjoyment of Windows 10.

So far I have tried:

Restarting Windows Explorer

sfc /scannow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Booting into safe mode (Taskbar works in safe mode and when I restart normally after being in safe mode, it still works. It only stops working when I restart again)

Updating my video card drivers

I have searched the internet for days and I can't fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
(I can't even open the Personalize or Display Settings from right clicking on my desktop).

That suggests it is not solely a problem with the Taskbar. Do you have any icons on the Desktop you can right-click and get a small menu?

Reaction score
(I can't even open the Personalize or Display Settings from right clicking on my desktop).

That suggests it is not solely a problem with the Taskbar. Do you have any icons on the Desktop you can right-click and get a small menu?
Yes, I'm able to open the little menu and interact with the icons.

Ask a Question