Ticks and crosses on Windows 10 home page icons

Reaction score
Quite suddenly all the icons on my Windows 10 homepage became marked with small symbols in their bottom left hand corners. The symbols are either white crosses in tiny red circles or green ticks in tiny green symbols. Others have tiny cloud symbols. What are these; should I be worried; can I remove them?

Reaction score
Could you post a screenshot of what you see? My icons [shortcuts] on the desktop have a small white square with a blue arrow on them at the bottom left corner. That symbol differentiates between an actual file or the shortcut to where it is.
A small portion

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    611.4 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Those red dots contain an X, haven't seen that before in the 20+ years using Windows or even Linux. I'd wonder if a third-party software is involved. What happens when opening a program or file when clicking on one? Usually the X in a red dot means Close or Delete.

Reaction score
Are you using a cloud backup utility? That's where I suspect these icon changes are coming from. I know that the Google Desktop Backup & Sync client puts green crosses on icons for stuff that is backed up and red crosses for stuff that should be backed up but isn't yet.

Reaction score
I tend to agree as most issues are with your user files, not with programs (except Zoom and Edge??). This has cloud service written all over it.

Ask a Question