SOLVED I need help chosing RAM sticks for desktop

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 full size business desktop that I am looking to upgrade the RAM from the OEM sticks to better quality aftermarket version's in hopes of getting slightly better performance.

My issue is that the spec's on my stock sticks are not found in the usual vendors website's and I do not know enough about what WOULD work in place of them.

I know there different timing and speed sticks that would work, but I dont how to figure this out.

DDR3 798MH 11-11-11-28 (2 X 8GB)

The motherboard is the OEM Dell: 06X1JT

I would like to keep it at matched pair of 2x8 for 16 GB.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'd also put the make and model of Dell in www.crucial.com to see their recommendation. But do be aware that "better quality" can subjective and there higher cost but then there may be no guarantee of delivering what is desired. I'd also visit some of the hardcore gaming sites for recommendations, they want the latest greatest fasted equipment.

Reaction score
Awesome, now I have some research to do and will report back.
Hi,

it supports up to 16GB RAM, see the spec sheet. ( 2 SODIMM slots; Non-ECC dual-channel 1600MHz DDR3/DDR3L SDRAM ) :)

I wonder why the sicks I currently have are barely 800MH...... I never saw any that low. Should get a performance pop with 1600's I would think..

Reaction score
I'd also put the make and model of Dell in www.crucial.com to see their recommendation. But do be aware that "better quality" can subjective and there higher cost but then there may be no guarantee of delivering what is desired. I'd also visit some of the hardcore gaming sites for recommendations, they want the latest greatest fasted equipment.
Well, running the Crucial scan was eye opening, to say the least. I never opened the case since I bought this desktop and was was under the impression it had 2x8 sticks, but the scan revealed that all four slots were being used so I opened it up and sure enough there are four slots and four sticks. So it is currently 4 x 4GB for 16 total. When I used Speccy it showed 4 slots, but not the number of RAM being used per slot so I never thought (at that time) to second guess the seller, (Discount Electronics). They have an automated system when you are buying a PC you can specify upgrades to the HD, Memory etc and therefore I accept the fact that I was mistaken about the memory sticks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The scan showed the following sticks: (but not their position on the motherboard)

(1) Hynix/Hyundai
(1) Samsung
(2) Micron's

I took a pic which I attached and (3) of the four sticks are the std looking green jobbies, and one is blue with lots of IC chips on it. It is in slot labeled "3".

Wolfie, None of the sticks seem to be the SODIMM type.

The scan recommended two sets of their Crucial 2 x 8GB pairs for 32GB total. (see snip)

I would assume that if I purchase two of these kits it would not matter which slot they were installed in.

Attachments

• IMG_20200718_060339660.jpg
    IMG_20200718_060339660.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    51 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
So, what is everyone opinion of Crucial, vs say equivalent sticks by other manufacturers like g.skill ripjaws or Kingston's.

I know they are of very high quality, and have low failure rates.

Reaction score
Hi,

sorry, I must have been on drugs or something when I posted my remarks earlier, it does indeed support up to 32GB with 4 RAM slots!.

" Up to 4 DIMM slots (2 for USFF); Non-ECC dual-channel 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, up to 32GB (16GB for USFF) " and should be normal RAM according to your pic!. :)

See memory here.

https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...tiPlex-9020-spec-sheet_Final_V2_G13001038.pdf ;)

I can only speak for Crucial but the others have a good rep too!. :)

Reaction score
The only thing I would watch for is doing the modules in matching pairs [or all four the same] and each pair in matching slots, may be 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 or maybe colored such as whitish and black or maybe blue and another color.

Reaction score
The easiest way to do this is to know the make and model of the Motherboard and put that detail on the website of Crucial.
Once done, it will show you all the parts that are compatible with your device.
I hope this helps!

Other than that, here is some more help:

MemoryFeature Specification

TypeDDR3
Speed1600MHz
Connectors:
Mini-Tower, Small Form Factorfour DIMM slots
Ultra Small Form Factortwo DIMM slots
Capacity2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB
Minimum Memory2 GB
Maximum memory:
Mini-Tower, Small Form Factor32 GB
Ultra Small Form Factor16 GB

Reaction score
Yes sir JustinC,

I am ordering them in the morning once my CC statement closes, (gotta budget during these COVID times).
They should arrive early next week and I will install them and report back..

I am wondering though, Is there any way to quantify the difference they make?
In other words is there a way to "measure" how fast my PC is now, and then once the new RAM is installed.
And, if so, what is actually measured other than saying, "wow my pc is faster now", lol

Any one out there could help me test before the new RAM arrives?

Reaction score
Ok everyone, two 16GB sets from Crucial ready to install ! (pic 1)
IMG_20200808_184147606_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200718_060339660.jpg

Question, Are these "matched" sets in some way?

Like, do they need to be installed in a certain order?

Please see picture #2. See the way the RAM slots are numbered?

Do I need to install each kit in the 3-1, 4-2 slots or in a different order?

Of the four RAM sticks presently installed, there are three different brands, so I don't think it currently matters, but for these kits I would like some advice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes. Black and Black is a pair and White and White is a pair. As long as two sticks are the same putting them in either the white pair of slots or the black pair of slots should work, same for the other pair of sticks. Since you got 2 kits that seem to be the same just one pair in white and the other pair in black. Some motherboards will have different colors but still match pairs. One of the important things is to check the BIOS for Dual-channel memory use, some will automatically do it, some won't but yours probably is but still good to check and it will show the total amount if they are working properly.

Just be sure to remove power from the computer and either press the On|Off switch or let it set for several minutes to drain off residual power first.

Reaction score
Also, you can check your motherboard manual, it will tell which slots to use when you only have 2 sticks of RAM. :)

Reaction score
Yes. Black and Black is a pair and White and White is a pair. As long as two sticks are the same putting them in either the white pair of slots or the black pair of slots should work, same for the other pair of sticks. Since you got 2 kits that seem to be the same just one pair in white and the other pair in black.
Excellent info, I did as you instructed, worked perfect.

Reaction score
I ran two benchmarks to see what improvements I got.

First up was the Samsung Magician software, I ran a benchmark scan and you can see a nice jump in performance in the read/write of the SDD.

Then I ran Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility and my CPU benchmark improved from 865 to 883. (I know, this would not a real good score for a gaming PC, but I am not doing any of that with this computer. I am also limited in what can be changed with the OEM motherboard) Not to bad for an otherwise stock PC.

Also, I am only using on avg 12-15% of memory, compared to the 30-33% with the smaller RAM.
Benchmark Scan.PNG

I want to thank everyone who contributed their time to this thread. Much appreciated!
This thread is now marked as "Solved" !!

Reaction score
Good. From what I've seen/read/heard the purists' "gamer" machines can be quite expensive [maybe that's why Dell bought Alienware?].

Ask a Question