SOLVED Removing memory sticks.

Reaction score
? please. If I just remove and replace (exact same) memory sticks will everything still work without having to reset Bias ? Not sure I am qualified to do that. I am getting occasional no boot with 3 long 2 short beeps. If I hold power button then release after a bit, it will boot ok....Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions...Jim

Reaction score
Simply removing memory modules after the power has been disconnected and On|Off button pushed to drain residual power is a thing to reseat the modules to wipe the contacts, shouldn't need anything more. IF there are beeps or messages about the memory then further testing is necessary which should include checking the BIOS for proper recognization of the RAM modules.

Reaction score
Thank you Bighorn. This hp pavilion has had that glitch since new. I will try this first and hope it fixes it...Thanks again...Jim

Reaction score
Are you talking about replacing the RAM memory ?? Before you do that, you might want to give it a test run. Here is a little tool that worked for years I have been using it:

www.memtest86.com

Reaction score
No, not replacing memory at this point. Just read where reseating it might cure the problem. If it doesn`t, then I will maybe try replacing. Thanks for the test tool, I will sure keep it for further testing if needed...Thanks,,,Much appreciated...Jim

Reaction score
reseating the RAM is always an option, if your error codes point to that. I have looked through the error codes of AMI, AWARD, Phoenix and IBM BIOS and could not find this beep code. However my list is over ten years old and might not have the codes of a newer BIOS.

I found a newer Information on the web:

but was not able to verify yours
3 long 2 short beeps

Since I have to assume you wont see anything o the screen, it definitely is a Hardware issue that causes the error according to the POST (power on self test).

Reaction score
So far so good. I removed modules and cleaned everything with air. Wiped modules off and reinstalled. have rebooted several times with no issues. Maybe all is well. A person would think a new pc would not have such problems . Thanks for all the info and advice...Much appreciated...Jim

Ask a Question