Removing linux distro completely and substituting Win 10

Reaction score
Hi,
I've bought a secondhand Dell Optiplex that has a Linux distro installed in it as the one and only OS. It works well but I just don't like it. And i want to use Windows.

So, what do I do? Should i somehow wipe off the whole disc first and then feed in Windows? I haven't bought Windows yet as I want to be sure I'm getting the right variety and advice on that would be appreciated too.

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi nosebleed,

when you start the installer and you get to this window, choose "Custom" (Install Windows only) and wipe all the partitions (highlight each partition and click on "remove" until you have nothing but free space), then just click on "New" and it will auto assign new partitions for you!.. :)

1591686544066.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Who! Have you read up on the different editions? Three really for home use. Home: Pro : Enterprise.
I would suggest Pro, as it gives you a little more flexibility in what you can and cannot do.
Have a read here:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Another thing to check; You'll need to make sure that your Dell will run windows 10. You'll have to go to Dell support page and input your service tag number. That will tell you all the information on the PC....hardware makeup and what OS it came with and will upgrade to and it will show you what drivers you'll need.

Reaction score
Go for either Pro or Home. The Enterprise edition usually requires logging into a specific Server for activation [been there and failed] and maybe the Education edition. The Enterprise may also be known as Volume Licensing.

For the Linux thing, do a fully clean install removing the partitions and starting over. I have Linux Mint on a Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop, works good but the drive formatting may not be conducive to installing Windows which is why deleting every thing is necessary.

Reaction score
Things are not looking up. I went to the Dell support uk site and entered the service tag number. Plenty of info there and lists of drivers etc. Trouble is I can't select anything that tells me I will be able to to run Windows 10 on my system. Dell sometimes wouldn't let me select something or other which obviously means linux. It did tell me,, for instance that I won't be able to downgrade to Windows 6/7/8 if I have an old intel chip and I can't run 'diagnostics' because that only handles Windows 7/8/10.

Mind you there is nothing on the Dell site to say that my system certainly won't run Windows 10. So I've been thinking. I don't want to spend £100 or more if Win Pro ain't going to work. However, I notice that Ebay has people selling W10 quite cheaply and if this is legal I'd risk a lesser amount.

So if someone would comment on this idea I'd be grateful.

Thanks, nosebleed

Reaction score
Things are not looking up. I went to the Dell support uk site and entered the service tag number. Plenty of info there and lists of drivers etc. Trouble is I can't select anything that tells me I will be able to to run Windows 10 on my system. Dell sometimes wouldn't let me select something or other which obviously means linux. It did tell me,, for instance that I won't be able to downgrade to Windows 6/7/8 if I have an old intel chip and I can't run 'diagnostics' because that only handles Windows 7/8/10.

Mind you there is nothing on the Dell site to say that my system certainly won't run Windows 10. So I've been thinking. I don't want to spend £100 or more if Win Pro ain't going to work. However, I notice that Ebay has people selling W10 quite cheaply and if this is legal I'd risk a lesser amount.

So if someone would comment on this idea I'd be grateful.

Thanks, nosebleed

Reaction score
It did tell me,, for instance that I won't be able to downgrade to Windows 6/7/8 if I have an old intel chip and I can't run 'diagnostics' because that only handles Windows 7/8/10.
That does sound backwards [but haven't had coffee yet], usually can't Upgrade to a newer version on some older CPUs. And unlike Upgrading to a newer version there is no "path" to Downgrade to an older version, requires a clean install. Most likely the comment intended to convey the information that there are no longer drivers maintained that are needed to support the older CPUs.

Reaction score
Well, davehc, I couldn't get anywhere with your Danish site. Probably my lack of foreign lingos is a drawback. Thanks for pointing out that I could buy a fraudulent W10 off ebay.

I'm going to take a few hours pondering all this. Enjoy your coffee BigHorn.

Reaction score
Well, davehc, I couldn't get anywhere with your Danish site. Probably my lack of foreign lingos is a drawback. Thanks for pointing out that I could buy a fraudulent W10 off ebay.

I'm going to take a few hours pondering all this. Enjoy your coffee BigHorn.
The only thing you needed to look at was the comparison table, but there are many similar sites in English. Completely overlooked the language - sorry

Reaction score
Dell Optiplex
Hi nosebleed,

which Optiplex model is it?.

You can buy a cheapo licence key for Win 10 from eBay, be aware that they are bulk (mostly) licences and MS can/might pull the plug on them at any time!. This is not to say they will. :)

Reaction score
I did mention precautions if buying from sites like Ebay. But, another thought occurs to me.
Is it possible to download a copy of Windows 10 using the media creation tool, and run it initially non activated? That would help the op to see if his computer is OK with it.

Reaction score
Just to point out that Dave's link is for an English GB copy, if you want a different language, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the language you want!. ;)

Reaction score
Just to point out that Dave's link is for an English GB copy, if you want a different language, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the language you want!. ;)
LOL After my last faux pas, I went to lengths to make sure he got the English download!!:D;)

Ask a Question