SOLVED 2nd win10 ssd not bootable after removing 1st win10 ssd

Reaction score
In my PC are 2 SSDs (A and B)

first I installed Windows10 on A
then I installed Windows10 on B
then I formatted A

Now B is not booteable anymore. Probably 2nd intallation detected that Win10 is already installed on A and used the existing Bootloader to start Win on B as well?

Is there a way to make B bootable again without reinstalling?

Many thanks for hints or guidance!

Reaction score
Hi,

first you must disconnect the drive you don't want (the one you formatted) by simply removing the SATA power cable. Boot your PC from a USB stick or DVD with a fresh copy of Windows 10 and see the link below, read from "If you can't boot Windows 10".

Advanced Startup Options | Windows 10 Forums

Once you have repaired the boot manager, you replace the SATA power cable and reboot!. ;)

The SATA cable should either be in SATA 0 or 1 on the motherboard!. ;)

Reaction score
Just for historical interest this often happened after cloning a system drive to an SSD and rebooting without removing the old disk.

Reaction score
thanks, I tied that.
booted from USB stick
went to "advanced startup options"
clicked on "fix problems that prevent the system to boot" (or so)
2 Seconds later: Windows responded with "could not repair your PC"

However I reinstalled Windows 10 now, that was ok for me cause it was a new System and it works fine now. No Licence problems, worried about before, cause the License Key seems to be bound to PC hardware and not to the Installation and the Linux on SSD C has not kicked off. Windows only changed the boot order:)

Lesson learned: if want to install multiple Windows 10 on different Drives and keep them indepenend, better remove existing Windows Drive(s) during the installation Process.

Reaction score
Hi,

glad you are sorted, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others!. :)

Ask a Question