2nd monitor says "Input Not Supported"

Reaction score
My computer has been updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (several updates with that), and now my 2nd monitor (I use two) is dark blue and has a floating error message, "Input Not Supported". This is a newly built computer, although the monitors are not new. Both monitors worked at first (with new computer), but the one that's NOT working now had the fonts very big, as if set at a very low resolution. When I tried to put it at the "recommended setting" of 1024 X 768, it went dark blue on me and started saying "Input not Supported". Even though I've tried to change it back to the LOWEST resolution, restarted computer, etc., the error message won't go away - and I can't use the monitor. Help??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked the refresh rate on the problem monitor to see what it is set for.
Perhaps adjusting it to 60Hz or 65Hz might help.

IF the monitors are identical then you might want to check the settings for the first (working) monitor and attempt to duplicate them.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Have you checked the refresh rate on the problem monitor to see what it is set for.
Perhaps adjusting it to 60Hz or 65Hz might help.

IF the monitors are identical then you might want to check the settings for the first (working) monitor and attempt to duplicate them.

View attachment 8698

Trouble, THANK YOU!!! It was by default set at 59, but when I changed it to 60, my other monitor came back on!!! It still looks over-sized (low resolution), so I'm going to play with the resolution and see if it will work while showing me more screen. God BLESS you for helping me!!!

Reaction score
Ok, it "works" if set at a 60 refresh rate (instead of the 59 that it was at by default). However, I can't make it any better than 1024 X 768, so it looks poor :(( It wasn't this way until we built the new computer. (Reusing monitors) I don't know why.... any clue?? This computer is better / faster then what I had before. Still Windows 10, but this monitor NEVER looked like this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't make it any better than 1024 X 768,
Why not?
Is there no higher resolution options available to you?
Are you using two different GPUs to support your two monitors or just two ports on the same card.
I'll as again..... ARE the two monitors identical??
Are you sure you have the correct drivers installed for your GPU?
Use device manager, expand Display adapters, select whatever is there and right click it and see if you can perform a driver update, use check automatically. See if that produces anything.
IF a higher refresh rate is available to you, you might try bumping it up to 65. Might be worth a try.

Ask a Question