Excel Opens 2nd unusable window when moving the program

Reaction score
I have two screens on my computer and frequently move excel from one screen to the other. When a workbook is open (maximized) on a screen and I try to move it by dragging the top of the program, a second unusable window opens and flickers. It stays open even after I move the program and it hides whatever is sitting on my other screen. Even if I try to click the button next to the X to make the window not maximized, it opens this other program. Two versions show up on the taskbar although only one version is present when Excel is first opened.

This isn't a personal.xlsb problem (I do use it but I removed the file from XLSTART and the problem still happens).

Attached is a screenshot since it's important to see that the new window (the one on top) isn't a full usable version of the program.

I do update Windows 10 when updates are released and I did this in last few days - I'm not sure if this was the cause of the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 448
Reaction score
I've never been successful in moving Maximized or Full Screen [2 different things], always needed to use the middle icon to Restore Down then I can click the title bar and move it. The clue to which is in use has been to get the arrows at the edge of a screen or a corner. Sometimes I have to click somewhere to change the "focus".

Reaction score
I've never been successful in moving Maximized or Full Screen [2 different things], always needed to use the middle icon to Restore Down then I can click the title bar and move it. The clue to which is in use has been to get the arrows at the edge of a screen or a corner. Sometimes I have to click somewhere to change the "focus".
With more experimentation, any action (minimize, middle icon to non-maximize, clicking the program tile on the task bar, etc.) causes the second window to open. I've used the same methods to move the programs around for 3+ years on this computer with no issue until yesterday.

Reaction score
Additional note: the same problem exists when I unplug my laptop from external monitors so it has nothing to do with the monitors or docking station. It's a Windows 10/Excel 2013 interface problem

Ask a Question