Excel 2003 Problem with update 1803

Reaction score
I had to go back to the previous version ( 1709 Build 16299.371 - I did this under Setting/recovery) because my Office 2003 Excel would not allow info to be entered. If you type in a number it pauses and then just closes the program. Totally unacceptable.

Reaction score
Confirmed. I had exactly the same problem on two machines upgraded to 1803. Thanks Microsoft, I have a LICENCE for office 2003. I dont want to purchase office 365. Reverted. Hopefully this will be fixed as an earlier build of Win10/Outlook 2003 had an issue opening links in an email, and they fixed it.

Will try a fresh install instead of an update, but I doubt that would fix it.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
This doesn't help your situation for either of you.....but I would send a note to MS in the feedback hub explaining what you are experiencing.

Reaction score
well certainly entered that when reverting, as it asks you why. not sure on feedback hub, I presume it logs the current version of win10, which would be the wrong version, not 1803, now.

Me2

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Uninstalled Excel 2003, reinstalled it, problem remains.

Reaction score
Tried everything, compatiblity modes, high dpi settings, etc... nothing works.
Ended up at the moment with excel 2007 and all the rest office 2003.

Reaction score
I updated five machines to 1803 all of which had MS Office 2003 installed. Excel still works OK on four of the machines which were updated from within windows and keeping data and apps intact.

HOWEVER - on one machine I had to do a clean install of 1803 since the update wouldn't work. The new install of Excel 2003 on this machine does NOT work. it has the problem of crashing when adding or editing numbers in a cell. Aaargh.

Reaction score
Okay! Problem fixed! realized that I hadn't installed MS Office SP3 on the machine that Excel was acting badly on. Did that, then ran Windows Update and there were many, many fixes/patches that had to be installed - 15 years worth! After that was done all is good once again!

Reaction score
Forgot to mention. You have to do 2-3 passes through Windows Update to get all of the patches for MS Office. And, (of course) you have to toggle on the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products..." in the settings for Wundows Update. (That used to be called Microsoft Update in Win 7 days).

Reaction score
hmmm, thats odd. I tried that, and windows update (with other microsoft products turned on), showed me nothing. I presumed that was because it was out of support.

Ah, ok, you have to enable other microsoft products in update settings, then REBOOT.
All working now, thanks Blackduckrun!

Last edited:

Me2

Reaction score
Thanks Blackduckrun!

Yesterday after I reinstalled Excel 2003, I installed Office Service Pack 3, but none of the other Office updates ("update other Microsoft products" was turned off). Today I turned on "update other Microsoft products" and a bunch of updates were found and installed. Excel's back to normal now.

Reaction score
found the KB that is fixing it, it is KB2810048.
unfortunately for me it also introduces an excel file opening delay of 3-6 seconds from my NAS.
This is why I hadn't loaded all the office 2003 patches. I was hoping this delay had been fixed, but it hasnt.
Word is worse, introduces a delay of up to 30 seconds. uninstall kb2878303 to fix this and turn off microsoft updates.

Reaction score
found the problem! Its KB2817474(MSO). After removing this update all slowness problems went away.
Even word is ok. You dont need to remove kb2878303 detailed above. This fixes both.

Ok, here is the exact procedure, as this has become convoluted:

Turn on "update other Microsoft products" under windows update advanced settings.
Close settings and reopen back to updates.
Install all updates, may need multiple passes through windows update to get them all
KB907417 always fails to install for me.
Turn off "update other Microsoft products" under windows update advanced settings.
View installed updates via settings or control panel
Uninstall KB2817474(MSO)
You could also hide it with wushowhide.diagcab.

Thats it

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Reaction score
I had to go back to the previous version ( 1709 Build 16299.371 - I did this under Setting/recovery) because my Office 2003 Excel would not allow info to be entered. If you type in a number it pauses and then just closes the program. Totally unacceptable.

Reaction score
Office 2003 sp2 and sp3 work on 32bit windows 10 1803 upgrade. 64bit the issue. A existing or fresh load of 32bit 1803 works.
In 64bit, If you set compatibility to 95 or 98. Then you get errors in Chinese characters. 64bit windows still does not work.

Reaction score
ok cool, yes that is an option. I'm inclined to go the other way, and remove updates, as I am still getting a problem where excel 2003 is really slow. I can see it drawing each line if I update something.

Reaction score
I realize this doesn't answer the OP question. However, I dumped MS Office 2010 when I updated to 1803. Downloaded Libre Office it's a great program and it's free. Libre opens all of my saved MS Office files with no problems.

Ask a Question