SOLVED Excel 2016 Win 10 Files Locked by user that is not logged in

Reaction score
This began with a recent update. I think it was with 1709 but, not sure. To illustrate: Workstation Number 2 (work2). Excel File set to open on startup. Right now work2 has not logged in today. All computers are shut down each night. I am at workstation say work1. I try to open the file that is to be auto started when work2 logs in. The error message "file.xlsm is locked for editing by 'work2'." The file happens to be a time file that I need to open in order to pay the individual. Now I have to get up, go to the workstation, log in and close the file and return to my payroll workstation. "Fast Startup" has been blocked on all workstations.
How do I stop Win 10 and Excel 2016 from starting before I tell them to start?

Reaction score
Indeed there was a "~" file on work2. I expect that the deletion of this file will resolve my issue, but I will have to wait until this weekend to verify. For now, I will mark this as solved. Thank you for your help, Regedit32.

Reaction score
As the computers are shut down each night, I would think File 2 will remain locked until File 2 creator owner logs ON

Reaction score
As the computers are shut down each night, I would think File 2 will remain locked until File 2 creator owner logs ON
But File 2 was successfully logged out and creator/owner was successfully logged out before shutdown.

Reaction score
Indeed there was a "~" file on work2. I expect that the deletion of this file will resolve my issue, but I will have to wait until this weekend to verify. For now, I will mark this as solved. Thank you for your help, Regedit32.
Tried again this morning and I was able to open the file! Thank you for your help.

Ask a Question