Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel 2016 does not come up in focus when using Dragon Speech Recognition

Reaction score
I know this may be a little off topic for these forums and I have already posted the same problem on the Microsoft Answers website but I thought that somebody may have an answer here.

I am disabled and I am not able to use my hands so I rely on Speech Recognition Software to operate my computer. I am currently using DPI 15 (Dragon Professional Individual 15) in conjunction with Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel 2016.

As you can imagine, if I want for example, a ‘Word Document’ to appear on the screen then I have to say, “open Microsoft Word.” Microsoft Word will open as requested but it does not open in focus. Once I use a special clicker to click in the document, then it will be in focus but when it first opens, it is not in focus. The same happens if I call up Outlook & Excel.

I know that many of you are not that familiar with speech recognition software but could you point me to a reason why these applications do not come up in focus when using DPI 15?

Any suggestions or ideas of what I should try would be most appreciative.

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry.... I can't help.
That looks to be a relatively expensive ($300 bucks) piece of software and I would think that "Nuance" would be able to suggest or perhaps provide some support for your particular issue.
I personally haven't used Dragon Naturally Speaking since Nuance bought them out several years ago.
There might be something going on with Windows 10's own personal assistant "Cortana" and you may have some kind of conflict on your hands between the two but I couldn't say for certain.

Does Nuance have a support forum or phone number that you might use to investigate further?

Reaction score
Sorry.... I can't help.
That looks to be a relatively expensive ($300 bucks) piece of software and I would think that "Nuance" would be able to suggest or perhaps provide some support for your particular issue.
I personally haven't used Dragon Naturally Speaking since Nuance bought them out several years ago.
There might be something going on with Windows 10's own personal assistant "Cortana" and you may have some kind of conflict on your hands between the two but I couldn't say for certain.

Does Nuance have a support forum or phone number that you might use to investigate further?

Yes, there is a website for this but I thought it may be something to do with Windows 10 and I would try in here anyway.

I thought there may be something I could change in the registry to stop this from happening (focus issues).

Thanks anyway and if anyone else has any ideas on how to cure this, then I'd appreciate those ideas no matter how vague.

HB

Ask a Question