SOLVED New Microsoft password rejected in Recovery Environment

Reaction score
I changed my Microsoft account password last April. Now, when on my desktop computer I go into the Recovery Environment and try to use System Restore, my new password is rejected and I have to use my previous password in order to proceed further. My new password is accepted, though, when logging on to the same computer. Strangely enough, I don't have this problem if I use System Restore on my laptop computer. I'd be grateful for any advice as to how I can get my desktop computer to accept my new password in the Recovery Environment.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Clintigm. How would I go about changing it on the recovery partition? Is it odd that I don't have the same problem with my laptop?
Grateful for any further advice.

Reaction score
I think on each upgrade IE 1709, 1803 and new RE partition is created. So just use you old password until the Fall upgrade 1809 that should correct the stored password. Another way might work and that would be to do a repair install of 1803 With your new password in effect.
You could probably make it a lot easier is you use something like Macrium Reflect Free and create Images and backups. It's far easier to restore an MR Image than to run an RE restore, you also benefit by only going back to the last image before you issue arose.

Reaction score
I think on each upgrade IE 1709, 1803 and new RE partition is created. So just use you old password until the Fall upgrade 1809 that should correct the stored password. Another way might work and that would be to do a repair install of 1803 With your new password in effect.
You could probably make it a lot easier is you use something like Macrium Reflect Free and create Images and backups. It's far easier to restore an MR Image than to run an RE restore, you also benefit by only going back to the last image before you issue arose.

Ask a Question