Excel 2003 Problem with update 1803

Reaction score
Reaction score
OK so far it has been working good since yesterday. Theres only really a 2 second delay on the blank gray page when opening excel direct by clicking on the file/workbook. I guess thats no real big deal. Now hopefully no more future win 10 updates mess it up again!

Reaction score
I had similar issues with the Windows 10 April 2018 update and followed the instructions above but had problems when it can to deleting KB2817474. I kept getting prompted to load source but would only accept Drive D (Windows Recovery Drive) and any other drive letter produced the Error '25091: Setup Failed to change the source.' I think that there is a registry change that could change the source to my CD drive but couldn't find any further info on how best to do it. Also, I didn't really want to extend my Recovery drive/partition to install from there. Eventually I gave up, uninstalled Office Pro 2003 then re-installed it then performed all the ensuing updates but strangely there was no sign of KB2871474 in the queued updates. View Update History shows KB2871474 as being installed yesterday but Installed Updates does not show the beast. Still got the same problems with Excel so now I'm really mystified as to what do do next - this is having a real impact on me as I use Excel for several hours every day.

Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone for dx'ing the Excel crash issue. Suggestions were followed (divxmaster's) but when it came time to uninstall the failed KB (the last step) I could not. How do you uninstall something that failed to download and install? The "uninstall updates" feature did not list that KB specifically so no uninstall was possible. I remember in add/remove programs old school, you could see all the KBs listed individually, and now that I reverted to prior build, I see the KBs listed individually in the uninstall updates screen. I just chose to use Recovery Options to revert to a prior build before I cut my wrists in frustration. Now I'm back in build 1709 and all is working just fine, and good riddance to 1803.
I'm sure there's some functionality I am missing out on but the loss of Excel is not worth it. Only thing obvious was a new recover password function in sign on screen but if you've forgotten your own pw, I'm guessing you may have worse problems. For the one person who supports older folks I guess it could help though.

Reaction score
I have all the updates installed, nothing works for Excel 2002.
Also have the Compatibility packs installed for Office 2007.

Reaction score
I have all the updates installed, nothing works for Excel 2002.
Also have the Compatibility packs installed for Office 2007.

I'm at the same position as you, a broken Office 2002 installation after 1803 update. In my tests, the problem lies with spreadsheets with formulas. If I open a new one, create a formula (say, SUM(G7:G10)) and then edit the formula or any of the referenced cells (after it's not blank anymore), CRASH. If I open an existing spreadsheet with formulas on it, the crash is immediate when I press ENTER. If for some reason all I want is to write on a new spreadsheet, Excel seems to behave fine, but I would I want to do that?

After searching exhaustively for a solution, including reinstalling Office 2002 a few times, the only thing that did it for me was reverting to 1709. I had to reinstall Office after Excel would not start and Word gave me a message of limited functionality for lack of activation, but that was -- so far -- the only issue. That said, I do recommend you do the same to get Excel up and running again.

Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone for dx'ing the Excel crash issue. Suggestions were followed (divxmaster's) but when it came time to uninstall the failed KB (the last step) I could not. How do you uninstall something that failed to download and install? The "uninstall updates" feature did not list that KB specifically so no uninstall was possible. I remember in add/remove programs old school, you could see all the KBs listed individually, and now that I reverted to prior build, I see the KBs listed individually in the uninstall updates screen. I just chose to use Recovery Options to revert to a prior build before I cut my wrists in frustration. Now I'm back in build 1709 and all is working just fine, and good riddance to 1803.
I'm sure there's some functionality I am missing out on but the loss of Excel is not worth it. Only thing obvious was a new recover password function in sign on screen but if you've forgotten your own pw, I'm guessing you may have worse problems. For the one person who supports older folks I guess it could help though.

Have a reread of my post... its not the failed update you uninstall, its another one.

Reaction score
I'm at the same position as you, a broken Office 2002 installation after 1803 update....After searching exhaustively for a solution, including reinstalling Office 2002 a few times, the only thing that did it for me was reverting to 1709...That said, I do recommend you do the same to get Excel up and running again.
Reverting to 1709 is no longer an option for me. This Excel issue is only a problem with 1803 64-bit; 1803 32-bit does not crash Excel. OfficeXP (2002) is 32-bit.
There is no problem with LibreOffice or OpenOffice.

Reaction score
Have a reread of my post... its not the failed update you uninstall, its another one.
You said "Uninstall KB2817474(MSO)"
BUt it was not installed. I checked uninstall updates--not listed there. I checked in Control Panel under Apps-- not there. I also searched Apps for that term-- nothing. I also went into C using Windows Explorer and searched on that--nothing.
Where else would I have found it in order to uninstall it?

Reaction score
OK a bit of an update. I decided that after all the messing around I'd done it was best to call it a day on Excel 2003 so I jumped ship and downloaded ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.5, just for the spreadsheet (CALC). After a few hours I had converted many of my .XLS spreadsheets to .ODS changing the links etc en route an deleting the original files .XLS. However, I then started getting lots of Fatal Error Bad Allocation errors with Open Office not saving data despite me having saved the sheets several times. Found out this is an ongoing problem (from OO4.1.2 IIRC) which hasn't been fixed so decided to give Excel one more chance. Deleted and reloaded MS Office Pro 2003 and downloaded all the available updates, but, before the required reboot when they were all installed, I deleted KB2817474 and after a reboot discovered Excel was working fine once more. This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma - should I stick with Excel and reconvert the .ODS files back to .XLS and risk another update screwing things up or should I simply stay with OpenOffice with its own little problems and accept that work will occasionally be lost when CALC crashes (only a real problem if updating numerous spreadsheets one after another).

Reaction score
We have 3 machines (Tosh, HP & Advent) in our household and all auto-updated with disastrous 1803 so no Excel 03 for us. Good news is that recovery to 1709 is quick and easy (much faster than 1803 upgrade?) and hey presto Excel 03 working again - hooray.

Reaction score
I realize this doesn't answer the OP question. However, I dumped MS Office 2010 when I updated to 1803. Downloaded Libre Office it's a great program and it's free. Libre opens all of my saved MS Office files with no problems.

Thanks for the advice. I used Libre on a previous computer. I don't know why I didn't get it for this one, too.

After repeatedly trying to fix the Excel bug (thanks to Microsoft's intrusive updates), I gave up and got Libre. There is no way MS is getting any more of my money for a newer version of something for which I already paid, when the software was fine until their upgrade violations ruined it.

Reaction score
Libre & Open modify the colors of the Excel graphs.
An easier workaround is:
1. Select all cells, change justification to something different.
2. Enter you data or whatever.
3. Select all cells, change justification back.
4. Save

Reaction score
My problem: Laptop runs on Windows 10, Office 2016 and Office 2003. Suddenly, Excel 2003 crashes whenever editing a cell with numeric value from Excel 2003 worksheet. If editing this file using Excel 2016 then no error occurs.

Solution: install the following updates from Microsoft:
+ Update for Office 2003 (KB907417)
+ Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB940602)
+ Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB955466)

After install those updates, Excel 2003 works properly again.
didn't help sadly :(

Reaction score
Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2002 (KB2541003).jpg
I found the update that killed Excel 2002.
Uninstall & now it will work.
Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2002 (KB2541003).

Turn off Update Options for other MS products or it will install again.
Restart.

Last edited:

VmT

Reaction score
Hi,

Could you please let me know how to uninstall Microsoft Excel 2002 (KB2541003). Thanks

Reaction score
THIS IS HOW I FINALLY GOT OFFICE 2003 INCLUDING EXCEL TO WORK AGAIN AFTER THE WINDOWS 10 APRIL UPDATE:

Go into Windows Settings on the Start Screen

Go into Windows Updates, Advanced Options, and turn on "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows".

Now click on Check for Updates. – (Windows then starts to install further updates - It found a bunch of office updates and installed them. Most were for Microsoft Office 2003.)

Unfortunately Office still didn’t work so I repeated all the above steps and it found a whole lot more Office updates.

Finally - Office then worked again! No trouble since…

Ask a Question