Excel 2003 Problem with update 1803

Reaction score
I had similar problems with update win 10 build 1803 and Excel 2003. Fix was as others (Charlie) said to go back to Build 1709. In my case 6-7 hours of looking on the web & trying things which did not work. Very frustrating and a big waste of time.

In my case Excel 2003 & build 1803 seemed to work in general. However when I went to certain cell and changed the date Excel 2003 crash & saved the data like someone said. In my case, the cell/row was protected which I unprotected, but it still crashed every time. I had like 20 pages of related & referenced cells and macros. Could not figure out problem as I did not code the Xls spread sheet I just know build 1803 crashed every time. Problem relates to excel 2003, MACRO SECURITY, and protected cells.

As I said my fix was going back to Build 1709. Thanks to all above.

Reaction score
Well I don't think your going to get much help from MS since they dropped support back in 2014 https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ice-2003-c5118100-b738-4163-b7c1-b9c4fe5b6b90
I moved up to Office 2013 in 2015, be careful as there are two versions which I found out the hard expensive way. I use Office pro. With at least 2013 version there is the cloud version and the Office Pro Plus the plus is the desktop version the cloud version is useless to me as I work remotely on ship and boat at sea with little or no bandwidth at all. Just thought I would throw this in as if you're still using 2007 you probably need to go ahead and upgrade. I have experienced no issues with any office program and 1803

Reaction score
fixed the issue with slow excel screen updating, it was text scaling, on a 4k screen it defaults to 250%, I bump this up to 275%... after changing back excel slowness is gone

Reaction score
The proposed solutions (to enable the Microsoft update for other Microsoft products during update) does solve the problem of general crashing in an Excel 2003 Document.

However, there is also another problem with Excel 2003 after updating to Windows 10 1803.

That is, when in a workbook there are multiple sheets and in two or more sheets you are using a formula like SUM(A1:A20) for example, then upon saving the excel workbook, it crashes and reopens with autorecovery.

Did anybody also encountered the same problem?

Reaction score
yes, confirmed, but I only get this if I create a new workbook now. I have old workbooks with multiple sum sheets that still save fine. If I add two sheets to one of the workbooks that is currently working, put sums in them and save it works. If I delete the original sheets or all the sums in them then it crashes.

But this is where it gets weird. if I create a new workbook on one of my non 1803 pc's, put sums in them and save (so it should be like the current workbooks that still work under 1803), they DONT work under 1803 ....
Makes no sense.

Additionally, if I open an old workbook that is saving fine, replace the sum() equations in them, keeping the original sheets, it crashes on save.

Reaction score
Indeed, it makes no sense. In my case it does it in every Excel workbook, old and new.
Tried to reinstall, to repair the Office, to repair the installation, but to no avail.

I wonder if this is due to VBA and I need to install .NET Framework again, or C++ redistributable.

Do you think it would help?

Thank you again for your time.

Reaction score
does anyone have "office2003-KB2810048-FullFile-ENU.exe" available?

for some reason my windows 10 install won't let me install updates to non-windows programs via windows update and the above file appears impossible to find (i.e., google search, usenet, directconnect, edonkey, etc. all struck out on that one...)

i know it seems like it might not make it work perfectly, but at least some functionality would be welcome

Reaction score
dont know if it is due to .net framework, but generally if it needs a .net (for example 2.0) that isnt there, it tells you. Will that has been my experience. c++ redist should be fine already I would think. How to fix this... no idea.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Reaction score
i just now run everything in a win 7 VM - its faster than using win 10 natively in most respects and office 2016 in win 10 appears designed for the visually and mentally disabled sadly

i think we hit peak software in most respects 10-15 years ago...

Reaction score
found the problem! Its KB2817474(MSO). After removing this update all slowness problems went away.
Even word is ok. You dont need to remove kb2878303 detailed above. This fixes both.

Ok, here is the exact procedure, as this has become convoluted:

Turn on "update other Microsoft products" under windows update advanced settings.
Close settings and reopen back to updates.
Install all updates, may need multiple passes through windows update to get them all
KB907417 always fails to install for me.
Turn off "update other Microsoft products" under windows update advanced settings.
View installed updates via settings or control panel
Uninstall KB2817474(MSO)
You could also hide it with wushowhide.diagcab.

Thats it

Cheers,
Divxmaster
Thank you for this! After researching all morning to fix Excel 2003's sudden crashes on me since the last Windows update, your post was the only one that actually fixed the problem. Had had "update other Microsoft products" switched off, so there were quite a few to get caught up on, and yes "KB907417" failed for me too. Tried to download and install it but it was asking for the location of a missing CAB file, which I didn't know where to find, so just took a chance and did a reboot without it.

Excel 2003 works just fine now. So thank you! This was a huge help.

Reaction score
I made this account just to say thank you to the helpful people here.

I've been using office 2003(SP3) for the past few iterations of windows 10 and i didn't have a problem at all.(Except for those spreadsheets made from mac which magically screws my formulas).

Got home late, tired and was at wits end on wth is wrong with excel 2003 auto saving, making a recovery file and crashing on its own.

Fired up windows update and removed the offending update that causes a problem with NAS located excel files.

Again thank you guys.

Reaction score
I'm a 2003 Excel user.. Works just for the 100 or so spreadsheets I use on a continual basis.
Use excel on a PC on all systems.

Had exactly the same problem as described. Entered data and screen just bombed out to the operating system.

Have 4 computers/laptops and luckily I had one of them on an earlier version while I researched the issue.

Changed the setting to Update MSFT Applications in Updates Only.... Didn't sort thru the KB updates or remove any of them. Just updated as many msft updates as the system allowed. Some were older updates that were not being supported so didn't update all of them.

Went thru the process and Excel 2003 has come back to life.... She lives on !!!

Someone else can pay the MSFT tax.... suits me fine to use what I paid for 15 years ago.

Thank you again for the indepth posts and suggestions.

Bellevue Duck

Reaction score
Hi, i found this problem today with Excel 2003 and it instantly crashing and closing when entering numbers
I have Dell laop top 64bit Win 10.
Thanks to this forum i found the issue was the Win 10 1803 update was the cause of the problem
i turned on the 'check for other microsoft programe updates' and it found 20 or so updated related to office 2003
I installed those.
i manually installed KB907417
I removed KB2817474(MSO) as per Divxmasters advice

I have not got Excel working, when i type numbers it no longr crashes, however i still have an issue
When i open Excel it opens fine, maybe a 1 or 2 second delay, not sure, BUT if i click one of my work books in one of my folders on the computer it does not open the file. It opens the programe Excel and it has the menu bars and blank gray screen and in the status bar at the bottom it says 'ready' but thats it and it kjust short of sits there doing nothing. I then have to actually click FILE on the menu bar and click OPEN and then navigate to the folder where the workbook is and then open it from there. If i open Excel from the desktop shortcut it opens fine there and will open to a blank sheet/work book ok. The problem is when directly clicking on the work book in my folder and it wont fully open it up in Excell, it just opens Exell to a gray page and says 'ready'

Anyone know what might be the issue and required fix?

Thanks

Reaction score
Cant seem to edit my post above but it was ment to say ' i have now got Exel working, when i type numbers it no longer crashes'

Reaction score
Bit of an update. I just tried something. I went into the compatability tab and it was checked to run as Vista service pack 2 or 3 i think? I unchecked that and now when i click on my workbook in its folder to open it in Excel, it does open fully and does not stop/ hang on the blank gray page. There still is a 5 or 10 second delay and does not open fast like it used to but i guess this is better than not at all. I would still liek to know if there is any other further adjustments or tweaks that can be done to further improve things. Not sure if all those Office 2003 security updates are needed? Maybe i should go back and re-install KB2817474(MSO) ?

Reaction score
Even though support for Office 2003 and earlier has been stopped I think it good to install any security updates. Unsupported versions of Outlook may not work so well in Win10. If not needing Outlook or Publisher a good free alternative to Office is LibreOffice, there's others but LO seems more complete. Most of my clients are older and on fixed incomes. Several upgraded their computers but had Recipe files created in Microsoft Works, no longer available but can be opened in LO.

Ask a Question