Trouble Selecting Objects/Cells with Mouse in Office 10

Reaction score
Hi,
I have Win10 and Office10 installed.
Mouse selection has become buggy.
In excel, I can no longer reliably left click, hold and drag to select a specific range of cells. It's sloppy...sometimes it will start the selection a cell or two away from the desired cell, or not even allow selection at all. It is not the "Extend Selection" issues that others have. I then checked powerpoint. I cannot reliably select and drag an object. Same thing goes for files on Win desktop when trying to move to a folder.
I verified I have the most recent mouse driver (using logitech M705). I've check advanced features in excel under options and have "enable fill handle and allow drag and drop" clicked. It seems like a more global problem with Win10. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
"I have Win10 and Office10 installed."

Don't you mean Office 2010? Office 2010 suite of applications show Version 14 for individual programs. Version 10 was for Office XP/2002.

Reaction score
Hi Rio Tubes,

do you have a touchpad mouse enabled but are using a wheel mouse?, if you do, disable the touchpad mouse and see if you can highlight afterwards!. :)

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't have a touchpad (it's a desktop) but I made sure that the configuration was correct. I also ran Repair on Office 2010. Unfortunately, neither fixed the problem. It's rendered Excel useless given the size of the data tables I'm working with. It seems more global than restricted to Office 2010. Even when trying to select a paragraph of text on a webpage, it will not select the intended text. I ran virus scans yesterday in Avast and Malwarebytes as well as ran CCleaner, all to no avail.

Reaction score
I'm not saying this is your problem. But when I have issues like this, it is usually the mouse buttons going bad.

Reaction score
Stating the obvious, you have checked the batteries on the cordless mouse?
I have had this problem, with the same mouse, a while ago. I was advised it could be interference from other remote devices. It turned out to be my Mobile, which, during the day, I have plugged in to my computer. Moving it further solved the problem. It can be any such device Internet TV, other tablets etc...

Reaction score
I previously troubleshooted the mouse (batteries, etc.) My hard drive is almost full. Hardly any space. Was using very large excel file with macros and lots of data. I think it is a storage issue.

Ask a Question