Turning Off Password Logins - Windows 10 Home Edition

MFL

Reaction score
When I turn on my older desktop, it starts without needing a password. If I log off, it restarts without needing a password. However, my new desktop's default was to require a password when starting up. I changed that via Netplwiz not to require one, but that change does not make logging in after using the log off choice work without using my password. Both computers appear to describe my account as my Microsoft account. My old computer shows another account, Guest; my new one only has my named account. On my old computer, "Users must enter a user name and password..." is checked, but clearly has somehow been overridden. On my new one, it is unchecked but is not working when I want to log in after using log off.

Although this is not a major problem, it would be quicker if I could avoid using the password to log in after logging off the new computer on the few occasions I do so. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
"but that change does not make logging in after using the log off choice work without using my password. " I have used netplz since day one. I do not need a password on boot up, but have always needed it if merely logging off

I have used

Reaction score
When I turn on my older desktop, it starts without needing a password. If I log off, it restarts without needing a password. However, my new desktop's default was to require a password when starting up. I changed that via Netplwiz not to require one, but that change does not make logging in after using the log off choice work without using my password. Both computers appear to describe my account as my Microsoft account. My old computer shows another account, Guest; my new one only has my named account. On my old computer, "Users must enter a user name and password..." is checked, but clearly has somehow been overridden. On my new one, it is unchecked but is not working when I want to log in after using log off.

Although this is not a major problem, it would be quicker if I could avoid using the password to log in after logging off the new computer on the few occasions I do so. Any suggestions? Thanks.
You can remove your password by leaving all three of the fields blank. Follow these steps:
1. Search for "Sign-in options" > Enter.
bandicam 2020-12-13 14-13-17-310.jpg

2. Click on "Password" > Change.
bandicam 2020-12-13 14-13-37-475.jpg

3. Input your current password > Next.
bandicam 2020-12-13 14-18-03-880.jpg

4. Leave all of the fields blank and then click.
bandicam 2020-12-13 14-13-54-483.jpg

5. Last, click "Finish" > Test it.
bandicam 2020-12-13 14-13-58-855.jpg

Last edited:

MFL

Reaction score
"but that change does not make logging in after using the log off choice work without using my password. " I have used netplz since day one. I do not need a password on boot up, but have always needed it if merely logging off

I have used
Your message appears chopped off. What was the rest of it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your message appears chopped off. What was the rest of it? Thanks.
I want to share something to get rid of that problem, but I need access to my previous reply that still invisible to normal people. I don't know why it happens, maybe because I put multiple media on it. Anyway, here is the method (Without pics):

You can remove your password by leaving all three of the fields blank. Follow these steps:
4. Leave all of the fields blank and then click Next.

MFL

Reaction score
It did not work. When I left all of the fields blank (Item 4 on your list) and clicked Next, I got error messages asking for the user name and password, so the process stopped there.

Reaction score
It did not work. When I left all of the fields blank (Item 4 on your list) and clicked Next, I got error messages asking for the user name and password, so the process stopped there.
It's kinda weird, which OS do you use? Maybe you should try the CMD method:
1. Search for "Command Prompt" > Run as administrator.
2. Type net user yourusername * for example, net user "Radipta Basri Wijaya" *
(You must use double quotation mark if your username has a space).
Another example: net user Radipta *
3. Just press Enter twice, it will remove your administrator password.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I want to share something to get rid of that problem, but I need access to my previous reply that still invisible to normal people. I don't know why it happens, maybe because I put multiple media on it. Anyway, here is the method (Without pics):

4. Leave all of the fields blank and then click Next.
Surely that cannot possibly work! It would mean that you and anyone else, always had total total access. I doubt that Windows 10/MS would allow it

MFL

Reaction score
It's kinda weird, which OS do you use? Maybe you should try the CMD method:
1. Search for "Command Prompt" > Run as administrator.
2. Type net user yourusername * for example, net user "Radipta Basri Wijaya" *
(You must use double quotation mark if your username has a space).
Another example: net user Radipta *
3. Just press Enter twice, it will remove your administrator password.
Didn't work.

Reaction score
Surely that cannot possibly work! It would mean that you and anyone else, always had total total access. I doubt that Windows 10/MS would allow it
Mine was working properly with that method. I don't even need a password to sign in on my Windows 10 Pro.

MFL

Reaction score
You were right. Adding the asterisk yielded "The syntax of this command is: NET USER...", and returned to C:\WINDOWS\system32>, but did not change the password requirement.

Reaction score
Whether you can do this depends on what TYPE of id is involved:
1. If the id is a Microsoft Account, then a password is REQUIRED
2. If the id is a LOCAL account, then a password is not needed. If a local account id already has a password specified,
you can use any of the techniques listed above to remove the password requirement.

When I'm setting up a Win 10 PC, if the customer doesn't want to enter a password, then they get a local account.

Reaction score
Whether you can do this depends on what TYPE of id is involved:
1. If the id is a Microsoft Account, then a password is REQUIRED
2. If the id is a LOCAL account, then a password is not needed. If a local account id already has a password specified,
you can use any of the techniques listed above to remove the password requirement.

When I'm setting up a Win 10 PC, if the customer doesn't want to enter a password, then they get a local account.
Presumably you are referring to the command prompt trick?

Netplz, - the original query, works also with a Microsoft account.. But the op seems to be having a failure with that. But he hasnt responded for some days, so possibly has solved the problem.

Ask a Question