Unable to update Windows 10 to version 1903

Reaction score
I'm running W10 v1803 (upgraded from Windows 7) on a 5 year old Toshiba laptop and I keep getting reminders that this version will not be supported after November. But when I've tried to update (used both the Troubleshooter and Update Assistant), after a lengthy process I get the message "Windows could not install one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer, and then restart the installation". Of course, that does nothing but repeat the error message. I am not a skilled user but would appreciate any suggestions that might make this work.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

The updates at the moment can be pretty picky when it comes to network drivers installed on your computer.

It may help to check whether there are any updates for your network drivers you can install before attempting to update the OS.

The other thing you ought to do is disconnect any external SD or HD devices during install. All you need attached - if using a desktop - is your keyboard, mouse and router.

Some users have removed RSA Machine keys from their computer prior to updating the OS with positive results, however, this does not work for all Users, so if you go down that route proceed with caution. Creating a restore point would be wise before deleting these. If you want to give it a try then:

Note: You need Administrator privileges to be able to delete some of the files that may be present in this directory!

Note: Create a restore point before deleting these machine keys!
  1. Open File Explorer
  2. Select This PC
  3. Open OS (C: ) or the partition your current Windows OS is installed on
  4. In top ribbon of File Explorer select View then check the box next to Hidden items
  5. Next open ProgramData directory
  6. Next open the Microsoft directory
  7. Next open the Crypto directory
  8. Next open the RSA directory
  9. Next open the MachineKeys directory
  10. Next delete the machine keys inside this directory

Sample image to show you the directory the steps above lead to

RSA Machine keys.png

After deleting those reboot computer and have another crack at updating the OS.
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm running W10 v1803 (upgraded from Windows 7) on a 5 year old Toshiba laptop and I keep getting reminders that this version will not be supported after November. But when I've tried to update (used both the Troubleshooter and Update Assistant), after a lengthy process I get the message "Windows could not install one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer, and then restart the installation". Of course, that does nothing but repeat the error message. I am not a skilled user but would appreciate any suggestions that might make this work.
If Regedit32 method fails, try this.
1.)
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

sfc /scannow

you you still can not full update/upgrade then add the following:

a) From Start screen, type cmd. From the results, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as an Administrator.

net stop wuauserv and press enter.

rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old and press enter.

rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old and press enter.

net start wuauserv and press enter.

reboot and retry. MS has a "I hate to many trys" and this rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old and press enter.
usually fixes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I was having the exact same problem just 2 days ago. It was suggested I change the registry key at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

It was set to 1 and I changed it to 0. Then I was able to successfully proceed with upgrading from 1809 to 1903 (Home edition).

As always, take the proper precautions and do your research before changing registry settings.

I started the upgrade from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HTH! Cheers,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I was having the exact same problem just 2 days ago. It was suggested I change the registry key at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

It was set to 1 and I changed it to 0. Then I was able to successfully proceed with upgrading from 1809 to 1903 (Home edition).

For the benefit of others:

The Value you modified would have been a QWORD (64-bit) value named PortableOperatingSystem

I'm assuming in your case it was present, and you modified its data value.

In most cases this QWORD value will not be present.

Whether adding it and giving it the Data value of 0 will make a difference, will be interesting to test.

The point of making its data value 0 is to confirm the device receiving the update is not a portable storage device, for example a USB pen-drive, but rather is the primary storage device, e.g. a Hard drive or SSD.

Reaction score
For the benefit of others:

The Value you modified would have been a QWORD (64-bit) value named PortableOperatingSystem

I'm assuming in your case it was present, and you modified its data value.

In most cases this QWORD value will not be present.

Whether adding it and giving it the Data value of 0 will make a difference, will be interesting to test.

The point of making its data value 0 is to confirm the device receiving the update is not a portable storage device, for example a USB pen-drive, but rather is the primary storage device, e.g. a Hard drive or SSD.

Yes, I forgot to mention the PortableOperatingSystem part. That's the specific one I changed. Thanks for mentioning it!

Reaction score
Best be ware when messing with Registry, you can KILL your System, and many have no idea how to backup or even restore if BORKED.

Reaction score
Best be ware when messing with Registry, you can KILL your System, and many have no idea how to backup or even restore if BORKED.

Yep, totally correct. Hence my warnings. In the future I may add a recommendation to make a full system image before such system changes.

Reaction score
Very much so, but (IMO) it is best to learn how to fix what MS broke, and if you do the recommended method with MS commands then it is safer, and yes agree a long time ago, i learned to USB bootmedia of at least 3 different Restore Programs, so as to restore a full image.
while many also do not know who to access the BIOS menu to select bootable media, I do use 1.) Acronis 2.) Paragon 3.) Macrium Reflect and have bootable media for all 3. also keep the Restore Images on a external HDD-SSD.

Reaction score
Dave, if you are still watching the thread, there are several things that seem to be stopping upgrades. You can look at the site below and run the setupdiag utiliity but It is pretty much impossible to help in this situation unless some logs are made available. I was doing a Win 7 to 1903 upgrade last night and it was failing because it could not move a memory.dmp file when it needed to.

The smallest one is the setuperr.log and the setupact.log seems to be the largest. Which log may be needed depends on the problem.. The site linked has quite a bit of info regarding logs and error codes and such..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

Reaction score
upgrades fail due to - I find that 99% of all updates can be fixed by using :
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

sfc /scannow

If install.wim use

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

if install.esd use

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:G:\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess

a) From Start screen, type cmd. From the results, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as an Administrator.

net stop wuauserv and press enter.

rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old and press enter.

rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old and press enter.

net start wuauserv and press enter.

reboot and retry.

Ask a Question