SOLVED Uncontrollable WakeOnLan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two windows-10-machines in my network.
One of them acts as a fileserver and the other one is my notebook. I use WakeOnLan to wake the fileserver when I need it. This was working perfectly fine until I upgraded both machines to windows 10. Since then, the fileserver is waking up constantly as soon as connect my notebook to the network.

E.g.: If I suspend the fileserver and quickly disconnect the notebook's WLAN, the server remains suspended. But as soon as I reconnect my WLAN, the fileserver wakes up as well. If I suspend the fileserver as long as the notebook is connected, the fileserver will wake up again after less than 10 seconds.

Any ideas, what might trigger this?

I already scanned for WOL-packets emitted by the notebook with wireshark. Except the ones I send on purpose, there are none.
But the fileserver insists that it is woken up the the ethernet-adapter when I ask it with "powercfg -lastwake" on the command line.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That you for sharing you resolution with the forum.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question