Unreadable text in menus - highlighted in black and blue

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having the weirdest problem.
Started just the other day, out of the blue.

Text in many menus, sub-menus, or even in pop-up hovering-resulting menus are somewhat colored/highlighted in black and blue patterns. Making reading the text almost impossible.

I guess some pictures could help explain the situation:
Capture001.PNG Capture002.png Capture003.png Capture004.png Capture005.PNG Capture006.PNG Capture007.png Capture008.png

My computer is quite new and strong:
Product name:HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook
BIOS:F.81-07/25/2016
Total memory:16.00 GB
Processor name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I have two GPUs:
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M
Both with the latest drivers...(?)

Please help me :)
Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
What does the question mark with the yellow triangle mean?

Have you made any changes to your fonts or using any special fonts? Any third party add on desktop modifiers?

Have you changed the DPI scaling?

It looks like something is corrupted. I have seen dialog boxes with some of the words missing because the font was too large to fit but I have not seen any with different colors.

Do you have the Nvidia or Intel video set as primary?

Reaction score
Have you found a solution to this problem? This is the same issue I am having. I had it come up on a brand new HP with Windows 10 within the 14 day return period, so I exchanged it for a new computer. It now just happened again on my second computer in the first two weeks of having it. All of the newer app style menus work fine, but all of the older versions are highlighted black. There are advanced option boxes within my control panel that are completely unreadable. Just a bunch of black boxes where the text is supposed to be. The same happens to the boxes that pop up when you hover over desktop or menu bar icons.

Capture.PNG

C2.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm having this same issue on the HP Pavillion laptop I purchased at the beginning of 2016. I've tried fiddling with the display settings and restarting my computer, which corrects the problem temporarily, but it goes right back to the black highlighted text in dialog boxes, menu screens, drop-downs, etc. not long after. I have NO theories on what makes it start up again; it's seemingly random. Googling the issue proves fruitless.

Ask a Question