SOLVED Unusual Windows Update Behavior

Reaction score
I'm experiencing something that has not happened previously in Windows Update. For about the past week, or so, what I call the Update Notification (the icon that appears next to the clock in the lower right corner of the Task Bar when there is an update to download and/or apply) has been appearing once or twice a day. If I hover the mouse over the icon, I get the following yellow message: "Your version of Windows will reach end of service soon. Click to download a new version of Windows 10 and stay supported."

When I click the icon, it takes me to the Windows Update feature in Settings. It shows the notation, "You're Up to Date," and the most recent update time. If I then click the Check for Updates bar, it checks. Very briefly, (too fast for me to read any details) it says something about Bing Bar, then says again, that I'm up to date.

Other updates do still come from time to time. The most recent one was 2021-03 Cumulative Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for X64 Based Systems (KB 5001566) which downloaded the other day and took nearly an hour to install.

Everything seems to be operating OK, and the only odd thing I notice is that brief blurb about the Bing Bar. I've looked in the installed programs, and don't see that I have the Bing Bar installed (I was thinking of removing it, since I've never used it), but can't find a trace of it except for that brief blurb in Windows Update.

The following additional information is provided regarding my system:

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.1441

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 GHz

Installed RAM" 64.0 GB

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here?

Reaction score
Yeah, end of life for 1909 is May 11. Under "check for updates", it should offer a feature update, unless you've delayed it under "advanced options" or through the registry or the group policy editor. You can also download the update assistant from Microsoft's website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to manually upgrade to the Oct. 2020 (aka 20H2).

Reaction score
Yeah, end of life for 1909 is May 11. Under "check for updates", it should offer a feature update, unless you've delayed it under "advanced options" or through the registry or the group policy editor. You can also download the update assistant from Microsoft's website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to manually upgrade to the Oct. 2020 (aka 20H2).
Big Feet, Thanks very much. Had no "Feature Update," and I certainly didn't knowingly delay it. And the only Registry change I've made was to edit it to keep Windows from blurring the image displayed during startup. However, I did use the link you provided, and that did the trick. It took almost 3 hours to download and install, then after that, one by one it told me I needed about another 4 updates, all cumulative updates, or net framework updates for the new version. But now, it says I'm running version 20H2, and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question