Update from Windows 10 to 11

Reaction score
Morning all, I have just installed the new version of Windows Health Check. Having run it, it tells me my Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6ghz is not compatible for W11, it isn't yet supported. However when checking the list of supported CPUs from within WHC there is my CPU listed as supported.
Perhaps worth mentioning that I currently have a 5 year old HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook with a pretty high spec. Intel Core i7 6700HQ 2.6ghz, 512gb SSD, 2tb HDD, 16gb RAM and the version of W10 is 21H1, OS Build 19043.1200 and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Anybody got any clues which is correct please?
Regards

Reaction score
Morning all, I have just installed the new version of Windows Health Check. Having run it, it tells me my Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6ghz is not compatible for W11, it isn't yet supported. However when checking the list of supported CPUs from within WHC there is my CPU listed as supported.
Perhaps worth mentioning that I currently have a 5 year old HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook with a pretty high spec. Intel Core i7 6700HQ 2.6ghz, 512gb SSD, 2tb HDD, 16gb RAM and the version of W10 is 21H1, OS Build 19043.1200 and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Regards

Please repost with more information, including the Microsoft web page that shows your processor as compatible with Windows 11.

Ben

Reaction score
Please repost with more information, including the Microsoft web page that shows your processor as compatible with Windows 11.

Ben
1630232151901.png

On this page I clicked on the "Get PC Health Check". Then click and download 64bit file and run it. When open click "Check Now" button.
1630232476964.png

This message comes up regarding my laptop so I clicked on the "More about supported CPUs" and my CPU is amongst the displayed list.
Any other info you require?

Reaction score
View attachment 13635
On this page I clicked on the "Get PC Health Check". Then click and download 64bit file and run it. When open click "Check Now" button.
View attachment 13636
This message comes up regarding my laptop so I clicked on the "More about supported CPUs" and my CPU is amongst the displayed list.
Any other info you require?
The penny has just dropped. When clicking on "More about supported CPUs" I then selected Windows 10 21H1 thinking it was asking which W10 version I was currently running. Of course my CPU is sitting happily on that list. Clearly it is not on the W11 list of supported CPUs.
Does anybody know if MS are revisiting the requirements list to include a whole raft of CPUs in computers across the world? My laptop was a top of the range when bought 5 years ago and was around the £1000 mark. To replace it today I would have to spend around £1500 at a guess. Well MS, guess what, I 'aint doin' it. Linux for me after 2025. Unless, of course, my current laptop curls up its toes in the meantime. I would be forced into the expenditure out of necessity not MS. But that would be for me to decide not some faceless bozo in Washington.
Mill House Kid

Reaction score
Does anybody know if MS are revisiting the requirements list to include a whole raft of CPUs in computers across the world?
Probably not.

The point of the CPU cutoff is because the Windows 11 supported CPUs contain hardware security features on the chips that Windows 11 requires to provide the levels of security the OS was designed to provide. What Windows 11 has allowed Microsoft to do, is introduce Windows security features that depends on specific hardware features without stopping millions of people from using their PCs.

If Microsoft had updated WIndows 10 with these security features then all those with non-compliant hardware (older CPUs) would have stopped dead. Instead, by intorducing them in a new version (Windows 11), they allow those will suitable hardware toi gain the extra security whilst still allowing those with older hardware to keep running Windows 10 until 2025. It makes perfect sense.

Reaction score
I have just posted elswhere on this forum:

MS have announced that Windows 11 can be installed on any computer not meeting the requirements, but must be no more than four years old. The criteria is that it can only be manually installed and will not be included in updates, if your computer is below the specs.
i.e. My interpretation - you can go for it but don't blame them later! I think that is a fair comment.

Reaction score
Probably not.

The point of the CPU cutoff is because the Windows 11 supported CPUs contain hardware security features on the chips that Windows 11 requires to provide the levels of security the OS was designed to provide. What Windows 11 has allowed Microsoft to do, is introduce Windows security features that depends on specific hardware features without stopping millions of people from using their PCs.

If Microsoft had updated WIndows 10 with these security features then all those with non-compliant hardware (older CPUs) would have stopped dead. Instead, by intorducing them in a new version (Windows 11), they allow those will suitable hardware toi gain the extra security whilst still allowing those with older hardware to keep running Windows 10 until 2025. It makes perfect sense.
Probably makes sense to anybody with a computer less than 5 minutes old but to the rest of us, I suspect not. My guess is that support for W10 will be extended way beyond 2025 when they realise the uptake of W11 computers is a bit, shall we say, sluggish.

Reaction score
Regards

I have the same issue and I am very disappointed with Microsoft for discriminating my HP Pavilion Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6MGz making it not compatible for Windows 11. This laptop I have cost me $1200 and it is a great computer because it has Windows 10, 4K resolution, 16GB RAM, 1TB, Backlit, 2.6GHz and is working great. I cannot get rid of it just to buy another laptop because Windows 11. Microsoft needs to fix this because they are ******* up a lot of people.

Reaction score
Windows 11 believe it or not will run on most systems built within the last 10 years. Just because it's not on the list of supported CPU's doesn't mean it won't work, it just means that Microsoft haven't yet got around to testing that particular CPU and most likely never will. If you're curious about installing Windows 11 check out this excellent YouTube video by 'Linus Tech Tips':-

Reaction score
I have the same issue and I am very disappointed with Microsoft for discriminating my HP Pavilion Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6MGz making it not compatible for Windows 11. This laptop I have cost me $1200 and it is a great computer because it has Windows 10, 4K resolution, 16GB RAM, 1TB, Backlit, 2.6GHz and is working great. I cannot get rid of it just to buy another laptop because Windows 11. Microsoft needs to fix this because they are ******* up a lot of people.

Im with you guys too, I have this same HP laptop i7 6700hq 2.6, bought in 2015 was top of the line. my previous HP laptop lasted 11?12 years, so this one not able to update and its only 6 years old and still running fast , kinda sucks. So i'll just keep it at win10, who needs their new features anyways. Its wierd everything else qualifies except the processor... it even partially qualifys on the specs. processor requires 1ghz.. well i got that..2.6, so why not let it upgrade?

Reaction score
"who needs their new features anyways."

I haven't actually found any yet. There may be some under that mysterious hood that is often mentioned

Reaction score
I replaced my 2 year old HP Laptop for Christmas which I had updated to win 11.
Tried to update on the "new" one and am told it's not compatible!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Go into the BIOS setup and make sure that either Platform Trust Technology or Trusted Platform Module is present and enabled. Be sure to save any changes when exiting.

Ben

Ask a Question