Update security without updating OS?

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have Windows10, it came installed on my desktop computer. Before I connected it to the internet I deleted all the crap off of it. Connected the internet and windows auto update added all the stuff back. Then after a few months of getting my computer just how I wanted they hit me with the anniversary update and it changed my whole computer. I immediately backdated it and shut off all updates in "services".

I don't and never have used IE or edge on this computer. I use Chrome. I want to keep my computers security updated, but I never want the OS interface to change.

How can I do this from now on?

Thanks
Chris

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Have you gone to the 3 dots in the top right hand corner
Click on it
Go to settings
Then make sure Chrome is showing with a tick against it

Reaction score
the only way is to defer upgrades and/or manually install the cumulative updates.
To update your machine you need to download KB3210720 from the update catalog. this will bring your machine to the latest version 10586.753

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx (works only with IE, not Edge)
I downloaded the .msu file, but I'm having trouble finding "update" in the C drive to install it.

Bif

Reaction score
the only way is to defer upgrades and/or manually install the cumulative updates.
To update your machine you need to download KB3210720 from the update catalog. this will bring your machine to the latest version 10586.753

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx (works only with IE, not Edge)
Are ya sure that is the correct version #?
As the MS update history page states that the most recent is 14393.693 as of the January 10,. 2017 cumulative..Or is what you are saying is that he needs this update in order to get to the aforementioned release?

Reaction score
I get error 0X80070422. When I search it says it won't update because my Windows Update Service is not running. I know it is not running, I shut it off.

Reaction score
Are ya sure that is the correct version #?
As the MS update history page states that the most recent is 14393.693 as of the January 10,. 2017 cumulative..Or is what you are saying is that he needs this update in order to get to the aforementioned release?

You are right about the 14393.693 Version as latest but that is not the point here. We are talking about the November update 10586 and the latest version is 753.

I found a way though to prevent the Anniversary Update to install on the November Update. There is a little known file from Microsoft that is called WUSHOWHIDE.diagcab which can actually prevent the "feature update 1607" to be installed along with others you do not want to install.
I tried it today and it works.

@Chris333 you have to turn on the updates again before you do this.

Here is how:
Run Windows Update but let it run on a metered connection otherwise the updates will be installed automatically. If it has found all the updates missing close the update screen and run the before mentioned diagcab. After a few minutes it will show you a screen where you can either choose to hide updates or to show updates. I choose to hide updates. after that a screen appears with all the updates listed that had been found before. Now you put a checkmark in all updates you do not want to install. Restart the computer and check for updates again. The Anniversary update should not be listed anymore and you still can make sure your November Update version 10586 will be updated with all the security updates you need. At least it worked on my computer....

I attached the file (zipped) for your convenience

Attachments

• Windows 10 wushowhide.zip
    42.9 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
I have tried setting a metered connection this way:
http://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-to-set-an-ethernet-connection-as-metered-in-windows-8-and-10/

But I cannot get permission
http://www.howtogeek.com/262464/how-to-gain-full-permissions-to-edit-protected-registry-keys/

Because I don't have a Microsoft account. When I use my name it won't let me change the registry from 1 to 2.

I know why: You have the HOME Edition and that is somewhat limited compared to the PRO version which I have.

Here is another way: Set your Windows update to manual. That way if you download the Cumulative Update you will still be able to install it but WU will not automatically update your PC (might want to disconnect from the internet after downloading the update). After installing the CU you can stop the service again. This is the only way I can imagine that will work. Its a little more work but the end result will be the same: an updated system without the upgrades....

Ask a Question