Updates are too destructive

Reaction score
Microsoft did their automatic update to Win 10 v.1511 10586.36 last night and so far I've found that it remapped all my attached hard drives to different drive letters so short cut links no longer work; removed all my folder options that I had set up; and appears to have installed Edge as though it were brand new to the computer although I had already set several things in that browser which are now lost.

That's gonna make it real hard to love an OS when you never know from one day to the next whether you're going to be able to find things on your computer or have to go through the process of setting it up over and over again. Just saying...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions.
I suspect there are quite a few other members and guests who have had similar experiences and share your opinion.
Sometimes I forget that it hasn't been a disaster for everyone and that in some instances, some of the problems are self inflicted, although I can understand that probably just as many aren't.
We seem to see a bit of this in every new version of the Operating System. I remember that I was never able to "update" my Windows 7 Pro SP1 computer to Windows 8 and after many failed attempts I finally just resorted to a clean install.
It was a painfully long and drawn out experience but afterwards I was satisfied with the outcome.

Reaction score
They were able to update Windows 7 dozens of time while I was running that, and yes at least one update locked me out of the computer so that I could only boot into Safe mode and restore to an earlier time. One problem is that the user has no idea what is being changed nor why. I suspect some of the updates are just so the boys and girls in Redmond can justify their paycheck.

Two full decades after Windows 95 there's no good excuse for still having to plug security leaks in home computers. But if they ever said, "hey! this is it!" your computer is finished and will do whatever you want it to do that it was designed for, it would throw tens of thousands of people out of work.

Mine is a brand new Dell XPS which came with Windows 10 pre-installed so there are absolutely no change over problems that could result for someone who switched from Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or anything else. I just expect it to work and I'm disappointed to say the least.

Reaction score
For my own interest. Could either of you tell me what the kb number of the update was?

Apart from definitions, I have not had an update since the 6th. I am wondering if I am missing them.

Reaction score
I just checked and it appears I am to receive KB3133431 and KB3132372 tomorrow morning. Both of those are for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems. The update for Win 10 that was done on 1/7/16 is KB3124200.

Reaction score
Ok. Tks. I guess this is a fairly new install? I received the 3124200 some time last year. and the latest Flash was the one I mentioned.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I got this computer in September, 2015. Came with 10 pre-installed. Looks like you received the update just a week ago. I'm not surprised that they don't send them out to everyone at the same time.

Reaction score
My sympathies. 24200 was a biggy and apparently did not go too well for some users. I haven't read any reports on it remapping drive designations, though. That is a real no no.

Not sure, but I think the cumulative update came out mid december. The date on my attachment was of the installation after I had replaced my saved image.
But this was as good as a reinstall (to build 10586.36). Possible answer was that it decided to designate your optical drive or other peripherals first and then you externals.

Last edited:

Ask a Question