Updates stop @30%

Reaction score
Having problems getting updates again.

I started out with Windows 7, and fought the upgrade to Windows 10, using advice to make changes and remove files to stop Windows 10 from installing..

But a long time has pasted since Windows 1o sneaked itself in, I have been using Windows 10 for sometime now and got to like it. But have had difficulty doing the updates, I have had to do a install using UBS to get the upgrades like 1903.

So now I have some more updates ready to install, tried three times and each time it fails and stops at 30%.

Any ideas?

Ron.

Attachments

• Win. 10 updates.png
    Win. 10 updates.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 340
Reaction score
Not sure why the KB4514359 is offered to download. The KB4522738 includes all those updates (they are cumulative after all).
You can do it now two different ways:
1. Download " Windows 10 wushowhide.diagcab " from here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/ and hide KB4514359, then try updating again.
2. Goto to the Windows update catalog ( http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx ) and download the KB4522738 and the KB4516115 manually and install them. You may have to restart your computer.

After said and done, run Windows Update again and they should not be offered anymore...

Reaction score
Your attachment shows the updates are ready to download, have you clicked that button?

Not sure why the KB4514359 is offered to download.
Many of the recent CUs have included Servicing Stacks, maybe one of those could be involved. I also saw two KB numbers in the last couple of updates that only show on the Uninstall Updates dialog and are not Servicing Stacks.

Reaction score
Your attachment shows the updates are ready to download, have you clicked that button?

Many of the recent CUs have included Servicing Stacks, maybe one of those could be involved. I also saw two KB numbers in the last couple of updates that only show on the Uninstall Updates dialog and are not Servicing Stacks.

No because it'll stall at 30%, then I have to force a restart..

Reaction score
Not sure why the KB4514359 is offered to download. The KB4522738 includes all those updates (they are cumulative after all).
You can do it now two different ways:
1. Download " Windows 10 wushowhide.diagcab " from here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/ and hide KB4514359, then try updating again.
2. Goto to the Windows update catalog ( http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx ) and download the KB4522738 and the KB4516115 manually and install them. You may have to restart your computer.

After said and done, run Windows Update again and they should not be offered anymore...

Thanks Grizzly, followed your instructions, but it want to hide KB4522738 so I just closed it and went to the updates and downloaded and installed KB4522738 and KB4516115 rebooted, came back and checked for updates, nothing there, so we are good for now..

What would we do with out you folks..I for sure am thankful to you and the others who all help out.

Ron.

Reaction score
No because it'll stall at 30%, then I have to force a restart..
So you are showing failed attempts on the View update history?

No obvious error messages and you have shut your system completely down to allow newer updates? I think you can click on a failed update and get info regarding the situation.

Have you tried checking the boxes to delay Feature updates and normal updates, rebooting and then unchecking those options. Maybe something is stuck in your registry.

If you wanted, you could create a WindowsUpdateLog by using a admim PowerShell window and typing the command below. It will place the log on your desktop.

Get-WindowsUpdateLog

Reaction score
Since when do the SSU's (Servicing Stack Update) come with CU for the dotnet framework??

@Binkie
glad it worked out for you...

Reaction score
Since when do the SSU's (Servicing Stack Update) come with CU for the dotnet framework??
Not really sure as to what update may depend on some other component. The Windows Update log might expose such a situation.

Reaction score
stuck at 30% or just a very long time - you could have a corrupt SSD/HHD or a corrupt download issue.
one line at a time. boring but works.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

sfc /scannow

If install.wim use
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

if install.esd use
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:G:\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess

a) From Start screen, type cmd. From the results, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as an Administrator.

net stop wuauserv and press enter.

rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old and press enter.

rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old and press enter.

net start wuauserv and press enter.

reboot and retry.

Reaction score
Why do MS Updates always stop at 30%? Because MS tries and fails to supplant an existing program with one of its own. I run OE Express as my mail program. Last May, a MS Update tried to supplant it with its own program, called something like Mail. Ater reinstalling Windows and all of my programs, MS changed its policy re Upgrades. It no longer tries to supplant the existing program.

Ask a Question