SOLVED Updating drivers

Reaction score
Just noticed this loss of function!
I am a boring old Control Panel user. Just browsing around today, I found that, if you want to update drivers, Windows no longer offers to search the Internet.

1597130166814.png

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

the nearest thing to an internet search is via Windows Update. You first have to click on search automatically and when it finds nothing, the 2nd option shows up. I have found that using Windows Update doesn't solve the problem though!. :)

1597131835685.png

Reaction score
Not sure what you are pointing too there. That was pretty much the guts of my post.
What I was pointing out was that yet another old function has disappeared.

Reaction score
My point is that although you do have an option to search for new drivers, it can only be done via Windows update!. :)

Reaction score
All I wanted to point out was that the search on the web is no longer available. Windows update, which is, in any event, automatic, does not do that, it only checks in it's own Dbase, which will can miss the latest Manufacturers updates..

here is a page to read

Reaction score
Hi @davehc,
They are making Windows as closed source in operation as possible.
Earlier I could get the drivers for the add-on part on the Manufacturer's website.
Now, It seems that Windows will not allow that.
The manufacturers would have to make the drivers and submit them in Microsoft's database.
Then Microsoft would verify the security measures and all the necessary shit to certify it as useful for the hardware.
And then and only then, they will allow the users to download those drivers from their DBase.

I would not be surprised if the desktop market becomes so in the case of apps as well.
Like Microsoft Play store or something.

Reaction score
As far az I sm aware, that has always, or at least for a very long time, been the case. The manufacturers ship the drivers to MS, but they ten have to be tested before making them available. There is often nothing seriously wrong with these drivers, except , possibly, compatibility issues, - things which users with the knowledve can deal with, but not suitable for the general public.
Again, not really the object of my original post

Ask a Question