Please... How can I stop windows 10 from updating drivers?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really desperate here.

AMD's crimson drivers constantly crash my PC. There is absolutely nothing I can do to avoid that.
I have tried everything (new system etc.) and nothing works... except using older drivers.

Now,
as we all know, Windows 10 forces new drivers on any hardware found on the system.

I have tried every possible way I found on the internet to stop this behaviour but nothing works.
I have even used wushowhide.diagcab to 'hide' the update I don't want ... but it seems MS thinks that I must absolutely have the latest drivers wanting them or not.

So, I beg the community here, is there ANY way I can stop this raping of my PC?

I constantly lose hours and hours of work for about a year now due to those crashes. Think of working on complex projects and spend hours to create a path to a solution only to suddenly have your work reset... seriously now!

thank you in advance for any help

Reaction score
You could always get an Nvidia graphics card....if it is a desktop. Nvidia's drivers seem to work well with W10.

Reaction score
You could always get an Nvidia graphics card....if it is a desktop. Nvidia's drivers seem to work well with W10.

I'm a long fan of AMDs but, since this issue happened, it's the last time I'm having anything to do with them.
I bought the card about a year ago for -higher than my normal budget- money and I really don't want to spend even more money for a new equivalent graphics card.
Next time though, it'll be nVidia all the way

meanwhile, I really need a solution to this... it's really driving me crazy.

Reaction score
I have already mentioned that I did
nothing I found on the internet has worked

It's just amazing that we're forced to use the latest drivers.

Is MS being run by kids these days?
One of the PCs on the network stopped working after the anniversary update and we had to return to the previous build . Brand new system on that PC as well :/

Reaction score
I've never had issues blocking video drivers from being updated in Windows 10. As a matter of fact, until 2 days ago, I was using AMD drivers from April. If you're having issues with crimson drivers on a new system, then something is wrong with either the video card, directx or your install of Windows. Since you neither mention what video card you have, or describe the crash in detail with whatever error message, then who knows? If you really want help, you need to go in to way more details.

Reaction score
ok then,
how do you block drivers from updating?

it doesn't matter what graphics card I have. All it matters is how you do it.

What I have tried is:

a. the software @Trouble mentioned in the post above

b. the option to disable automatic update for manufacters' apps etc.
I'm talking about this:
upload_2016-8-3_9-28-56.png

c. an option from within the advanced settings in windows update (strangely enough, I can't find it now after the anniversary update) in which I could choose again to not update non-windows software.

So, if you believe there is something I haven't tried, please show me.. As I said, I'm desperate.

As for the crash, that's not Windows fault ..it's AMD's . Some systems experience a 'thread stuck in device driver' BSOD with the new crimson software.

both issues have been experienced by hundreds of users. Before directing the fault to the user, please try and help that user. We can't always be the ones at fault. Sometimes the software companies need to be blamed for problematic software.

thanks for your time

Ask a Question