Windows 10 update on 16/07/2017 stopped all USB 2 devices working....please help

Reaction score
The Windows 10 update has stopped the PC from recognising the printers.

The printers still show up under 'Printers' in 'View devices and printers', however if you try to print a box comes up saying that the printer can't be found.

It looks like the USB 3 ports can no longer work with USB 2 devices.

Help please?!

Reaction score
1. The printers still show up under 'Printers' in 'View devices and printers', however if you try to print a box comes up saying that the printer can't be found.
2. It looks like the USB 3 ports can no longer work with USB 2 devices.
1. It's not your default printer. Change it.
2. Not possible.

Reaction score
1 - It isn't supposed to be the default printer - so it does not need to be changed to the default.
2 - It definitely does look like the USB 3 port no longer works with USB 2 devices.

When clicking 'print' a box pops up saying that there are no Argox (that is the make) printing devices attached to your pc. I have re-installed the drivers twice, re-installed the design software (just in case as this shouldn't make a difference), tried the printer in different ports, restarted the PC. None of these things help.

Can someone please offer any useable advce? Many thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked with the computer manufacturer to confirm that you are using their latest drivers for your hardware components?
Have you tried uninstalling the update that you suggest is causing your issue? In some instances people have reported some success in resolving their issues by uninstalling the problem update.

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I installed windows 10 I couldn't set my HP Laser Jet as the default printer. I solved the problem by turning off the metered internet connection. When this is turned (Metered connection) on it prevents the PC from downloading apps, info and drivers. To turn "Metered connection ON or OFF. Go to settings > Devices > on the left select Printers&Scanners turn the metered connection ON or OFF.

Reaction score
Have you checked with the computer manufacturer to confirm that you are using their latest drivers for your hardware components?

Have you tried uninstalling the update that you suggest is causing your issue? In some instances people have reported some success in resolving their issues by uninstalling the problem update.

Hi there, yes, I have reinstalle the latest drivers and removed the most recent updates but nothing is fixed :(

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I installed windows 10 I couldn't set my HP Laser Jet as the default printer. I solved the problem by turning off the metered internet connection. When this is turned (Metered connection) on it prevents the PC from downloading apps, info and drivers. To turn "Metered connection ON or OFF. Go to settings > Devices > on the left select Printers&Scanners turn the metered connection ON or OFF.
Thank you, I can try this but the issue is not that I can't change or set printers as my default. The issue is that no printers are working . They show up in devices and printers, I can change settings within there but there is a message saying that there are no devices attached to the pc.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked the status of the Print Spooler services
services.msc
Is it running and set to automatic?

Ask a Question