Windows 10 Update Aug 2017

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seriously!
Without some help from you, we cannot provide any potential helpful response.
Before the update
Which program were you using for email?
Please do not say "Outlook" before reading this
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/outlook-vs-outlook-com-vs-windows-live-mail-vs-mail.29/
After the update, are you using the same program and are all the configuration settings the same?

Outlook (the real Outlook) maintains your contacts within its' .pst file
Mail (not really Outlook) App is tied to the "People" App where your contacts should be located
Hotmail.com / Outlook.com is web based and your contacts should be there in the cloud.

Third party email programs (Thunderbird, Mailbird, and a host of other such programs) all handle contacts (addressbooks) uniquely, depending on their proprietary program requirements.
AND
IF you were using your own unique ISP provided email and IF it does contain a web based component that you can use to connect to your account then they may be able to help with any particular issues.

A lot of this is always dependent on your "account" which is itself unique and its' ability to sync (in the case of such things as an exchange / activesync account) with Mail / People would require the use of the identical account and all of its' associated settings (account name, password, out going and incoming server configuration)
IF you are using the native Mail and associated People apps, make sure to check the Store app and see if their are any updates pending that need to be downloaded and installed.

Reaction score
I think what Comp means is that your contacts are held on your e-mail server & so will be available if you access your e-mail account via your provider? I only use web based e-mail, so I'm used to managing my contacts' list vis my provider's website.
So you shouldn't have lost anything in the recent update.

Reaction score
I think what Comp means is that your contacts are held on your e-mail server & so will be available if you access your e-mail account via your provider? I only use web based e-mail, so I'm used to managing my contacts' list vis my provider's website.
So you shouldn't have lost anything in the recent update.

Reaction score
Thanks Stephen_33. I use the Windows 10 built in email. This email uses the People app for contacts. After the
update last night the People app says "no contacts found". I feel my contacts are somewhere...I was just asking help on how to find them.

Reaction score
"I use the Windows 10 built in email" - o/k but it's still not clear who your e-mail provider is? Even if you use an e-mail app such as the bundled W10 one, it still has to download your e-mails from an e-mail server somewhere.
Years ago when I used MS Outlook, it would download my e-mails from my Freeserve account but I also had the choice of logging into my account there & accessing the same e-mails on their site.
Can't you do that?

Reaction score
"I use the Windows 10 built in email" - o/k but it's still not clear who your e-mail provider is? Even if you use an e-mail app such as the bundled W10 one, it still has to download your e-mails from an e-mail server somewhere.
Years ago when I used MS Outlook, it would download my e-mails from my Freeserve account but I also had the choice of logging into my account there & accessing the same e-mails on their site.
Can't you do that?

Reaction score
I have Comcast email. I can use that account. I'm still annoyed that the Aug. update lost my contacts in the People app. I find the windows 10 email very easy and quick to use. When I originally had set it up I imported my contacts into the People app and now had to do that again. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
After update, I have lost everything on my Microsoft Edge Page? I have no bookmarks or favorites. The page will not stay active long enough for anything to appear. What do I do?

Reaction score
I have Comcast email. I can use that account. I'm still annoyed that the Aug. update lost my contacts in the People app. I find the windows 10 email very easy and quick to use. When I originally had set it up I imported my contacts into the People app and now had to do that again. Thanks for your help.

I don't know about Comcast. However, Gmail, Outlook (Hotmail), Yahoo and probably other email providers link the contacts to the email account. So when the user accesses the Windows 10 Mail app with one of those types of accounts, the contacts are loaded also. That's why everyone responded by saying you should contact your provider.

Ask a Question