SOLVED Problems with my brother printer after updating Windows 10 recently

Reaction score
When I came to my computer on friday - I realised that Windows had run an upgrade overnight
during the day I realised that my printer a BROTHER DCP-J315W was no longer working
I tried to run the brother support troubleshooting and it suggested that I de-install and reinstall the printer
but this did not seem to help
then I noticed that there were other updates which were waiting in the wings - so I thought it best to run these and then try the printer again
so the following updates were installed satisfactorily
Windows 10 version 2004
Quality Updates
2020-05 Cumulative Update for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 KB4552925
2020-06 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player KB 4561600
today I have spent a lot of time de-installing and re-installing the printer
I tried connecting it directly
it does the same thing - I try to print a test page - it says the test page has gone to the print queue - I can see it in the print queue - then it disappears
but nothing is printed
Any ideas - I am a trifle bereft
thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I tried connecting it directly
Can we assume that, that was a USB printer cable connection??

What I've found generally helpful in these cases is to disconnect and turn off the printer.
Uninstall the printer drivers as well as any manufacturer's software associated with the printer.
Reboot the computer.
Download the latest full software package for the printer from the manufacturer.
Refrain from using any disk that might have been packaged with the printer.

There is a second manufacturer's software product which may be helpful
"Driver Deployment Wizard" https://support.brother.com/g/b/dow...5w_eu_as&os=10013&type3=30&dlid=dlf005058_000

Generally there will be a point in time during the reinstall where you are prompted to connect the printer.
I find it helpful to wait for that prompt

Ask a Question