Updating to win 10 1809 deleted all icons on desktop

Reaction score
Working with a pc that after updating to Win 10 Vesion 1809 lost all of the shortcut third party app icons as well as the Recycle Bil icons. There are no options for Display and Personalize when you right click on a blank space on the desktop. Also the task manager bar is missing from the task bar as is the search bar. On the far right of the task bar near the clock is a stack of the desktop icons. I can click on them and they will open, but I want them on the desktop as icons. What happened and are there any fixes for these errors other than System Restore/Reset. It has been over two weeks since the update so I can't go back to the 1803 version. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
I use the Desktop choice on the right-click of the Taskbar, Toolbars and get the word Desktop with a small double right-pointing arrow which when clicked list all the icons on the Desktop. I'd try going that route and Uncheck it, see if the icons come back.
Taskbar_Toolbars.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible you have toggled on "Tablet Mode"?
It's been a while so I don't actually remember what the desktop looks like with that setting.

Reaction score
Bighorn and NoobWhisper,
Thank you for your prompt and informative replies. As soon as I have access to this problematic pc again I will try both of your fixes and post the results here. You are most kind with your knowledge and support.

Reaction score
You're welcome. I just recalled an "old" trick I first saw back in '92 with Windows 3.1 in Program Manager [it's version of Desktop] was to stack all the icons atop each other in one corner, made the user not able to do anything.

Ask a Question