Error message 0x802400b when updating Win10 after restoring from image

Reaction score
Hi,
Could use some help. I restored my C drive where Win10 is installed using Macrium Reflect. The image was Dec 2015.
I've run updates and dozens have installed succesfully but the last few including 1803 failed.

Error message: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 - Error 0x8024000b"

Says: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed because your computer has an unsupportable disc layout for UEFI firmware"

I have 3 discs. All are NTFS with two partitions each. The only thing I see (don't know if this is relevant is that one disc (which I store all user data/files on) has a small partition that is unformatted (says "unformatted primary") which is only 128mb. The other partition (where my files are stored) is 3.6 terabyts.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
It might help to attach a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management window, expanded to show info on the partitions.

The message about UEFI normally means you are trying to install a UEFI version on a MBR configured drive when it needs a GPT configured drive. The 128 MB partition is normally a special MSR partition which is placed on GPT configured drives.

Reaction score
pdf of disk drive screenshot attached. Do you see anything that would cause this error message?

Attachments

• Screenshot Disk Drives.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
Since your current configuration does not seem to show a design related to a normal install, can you tell us what you would like to do regarding where you want your OS partition and whether you want it as UEFI or Legacy?

Currently, your OS partition is on a MBR configured drive and it is marked as active so your boot files may also be on that partition. But since you have other active partitions, the boot files may be there. Macrium Reflect does not show the same descriptions, such as system or boot, as does the Windows Device Manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe an actual capture of the Disk Management window using the snipping tool would provide additional information for those trying to understand what is going on.
Reside the columns as below so it's evident what the individual partitions are being used for.

Reaction score
Hi, any thoughts now that a visual of my disk drives (above) is posted? Still getting the same error for 1803. Win 10 version 1511 did successfully update after using macrium reflect to replace the drive with a prior version of windows.

Reaction score
On my part, I am waiting for you to tell us what you want to do with your drive configuration. Right now you are running a Legacy system booting from and into Disk 2, Partition 2.(C)...

Do you want a Legacy install or a UEFI install and where do you want it?

Reaction score
sorry, I didn't mean to intentionally not reply to some of the questions, it's just that I don't understand some of what has been asked.

To recap, I restored my C drive to an earlier version of the drive that existed shortly after the original installation (December 2015) using Macrium Reflect. The computer is working fine today, other than the failure previously mentioned about Windows Updates. So I'm not attempting to do anything now with the drives. I'm simply trying to ensure all of the windows updates occur successfully.

Reaction score
The error message basically says the operation was cancelled. It was mentioned something about superseded updates. So I can only guess and my first thought would be the process is trying to modify your install by adding a recovery partition and is unable to do so. But I am only guessing... It may be several other things but if the update is not seeing a configuration it can work with, it may cancel itself.

First, you do have an active System Reserved partition (E) so I would delete that partition or at least use Diskpart to mark it as inactive. Then try the updates and see if they work that way.

If that doesn't help, I think I would try to move the boot files to the System Reserved Partition and make it active. This is the normal configuration of an install. Using the bcdboot command and Diskpart it is easy to do but could possibly result in boot problems if not done correctly.

Whatever you do, make sure and have recovery/install media available so you use it boot if necessary. If you need help doing any of this, just ask.

Last edited:

Ask a Question