SOLVED Error message "unexpected kernel mode trap"

Reaction score
At various times lately I am getting the above message and I have to turn off my Lenovo laptop and restart again after which the laptop will run for a while. Is there an easy solution to this except for re-installing Windows 10 and all my programs?
Thanks for any advice.
Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

This could be due to a driver problem - are you fully patched and up to date with your drivers? I don't often recommend using driver finder tools, but Lenovo have their own driver updater tool which you can access on their support site by inputting your laptop model:

https://support.lenovo.com/

Lenovo will have their own drivers for some of the hardware on your laptop, so it's worth checking this first.

If that doesn't help (after installing and rebooting), try a crash dump analyser tool like this (use the free home version):

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

It should check the crash dump that was generated and it'll give you a clue as to which driver/app may be causing the problem. You can post the analysis it provides in here and we may be able to help identify the culprit :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian, Thank you for your fast response about my problem. I have followed all your advices and all updates that I installed ( and that were quite a few) did not give me any the correct answer that I know of. However after installing and eventually running about 6 or 7 programs,my computer did the same as before but this time with a totally different message and I am sorry that I let it disappear before I could make a note of it. But the good part is, that after having run all the tools and restarted the computer, it is now running great. The one thing that came out of one of the reports was that my memory was running a bit high but the program made only a foot note thereof and at the end of that specific report told me that my computer was in good shape. Well, that was nice to hear after having had this laptop for only about 9 months, because Lenovo was very uncooperative throughout all this although I had insisted twice that I return the laptop for their repair but that did not help but they insisted that I had to pay for their work and I told them to fly a kite. But everything seems to be normal again and I cannot thank you enough about all the tips you gave me so that I found all kind of updates and tools from them. I am sure that the problem is solved and I reported that as such. Cheers,
Robert

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Robert, thanks for reporting back - I'm really pleased it's working well for you now :).

Ask a Question