USB flash drive issues

Reaction score
I have a new Dell Inspiron 5675, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 core, 16gb system memory, AMD Radeon RX580 8gb video. I am trying to make a windows recovery disk, windows wants a 16 gb USB, I have tried 3 different brands, PNY, Sandisk and Memorex, windows stated the PNY and Memorex malfunctioned, and will not recognize the Sandisk. I have an older 8gb HP and a 1 tb USB hard drive that are recognized.
I spent 2 hours on chat with Dell, they could not find issue.

Reaction score
If you were getting any messages, they might help. You are using Cortana to find the Win 10 recovery drive utility and not using the Win 7 version?

A 16 GB drive would normally be large enough although I use a 32 GB to make sure there is no space problem. When you start the utility, it finds the USB drive and before it continues it warns the drive will be erased. Are you seeing that? Is there a check box to include system files?

Have you made any changes to the drive configuration? If the USB drives are slow it might cause problems.

If you were to have corrupted system files, it would be a problem but you probably haven't had enough time for that to happen.

If you don't know, when you create a Win 10 recovery drive, it places the Recovery tools and creates an image of your current Win 10 install. It adds references for the OEM utilities which are contained in the larger Recovery Partition.

You have or have not allowed the Win 10 upgrades to be installed..?

Reaction score
Have you run the Windows native troubleshooter. Settings > Windows Update and Security "Troublshoot" > Hardware & Devices.

Ask a Question