SOLVED Videos will not play on cnn.com using Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera browsers.

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting videos to play on cnn.com. It just does not play anything and shows that it is a .06 second video at the bottom of the video window. YouTube videos play just fine. Tried to download Opera browser, but had the same problem. Have emptied the cache and unchecked "enable hardware acceleration" as suggested on the internet. Nothing has helped. Another suggestion was to download a new driver, but which one am I looking for? Can anyone suggest a solution? My husband is annoyed that he can no longer view these. Please help.

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting videos to play on cnn.com. It just does not play anything and shows that it is a .06 second video at the bottom of the video window. YouTube videos play just fine. Tried to download Opera browser, but had the same problem. Have emptied the cache and unchecked "enable hardware acceleration" as suggested on the internet. Nothing has helped. Another suggestion was to download a new driver, but which one am I looking for? Can anyone suggest a solution? My husband is annoyed that he can no longer view these. Please help.
The reference to a .06 second video [file] suggests it is a corrupted or incomplete video. I've noticed that most of the videos I download at medium resolutions [if choices are shown] are about 3MB/MegaByte per 1 minute play [not a firm size, could be smaller or larger].

EDIT: Just tried cnn.com on Firefox and Edge, none of the videos I tried would play on either browser.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just tried Cnn using Chrome. Got the 0.6 second video and the main video opened and played immediately afterwards. I am using Adblock and I got a notice about that before trying to play the video. I wonder if that 0.6 second was a skipped ad?

Reaction score
Hi Sam,

I just played videos on CNN using FireFox, what version of FF do you have?. Click on the top panel (press F10 if not showing menu bar) Help > About Firefox and check for an update, you should have version 57 or higher!. :)

Ask a Question