Videos no longer play

Reaction score
I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. At that time all my video types would play fine. mpg, m2t, mp4, etc. and they would play in either Windows Media Player or the new Windows 10 Movies & TV APP So recently I upgraded my boot drive to a SSD drive and did a clean install of Windows 10. Now the only videos that will play are mp4's. The APP displays an error that says "Can't play. Item is in a format we don't support." Windows Media Player only plays the audio. I can't figure out what happened when I went from the Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade to the new clean install of Windows 10. If anyone has some insight in to what my problem might be I would appreciate it. :(

Mike

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. At that time all my video types would play fine
OK... makes sense.
I upgraded my boot drive to a SSD drive and did a clean install of Windows 10. Now the only videos that will play are mp4's
My suspicion is that your previous upgrade probably had the benefit of a codec pack that was present in Windows 7, either as a product of a software installation or a deliberate and explicit installation of a third party codec pack.

Reaction score
Download one of the free media players. A lot of people use VLC however I like Pot Player. Your videos should play just fine then.

Reaction score
OK... makes sense.

My suspicion is that your previous upgrade probably had the benefit of a codec pack that was present in Windows 7, either as a product of a software installation or a deliberate and explicit installation of a third party codec pack.
I never installed a codec pack in windows 7 so I'm not sure what program might have provided some codec's. I searched around the internet and found quite a few codec packs for Windows 10. I don't want to randomly start loading codec packs. Any suggestions on a good codec pack, free or otherwise would be appreciated.

Ask a Question