VPN disconnect randomly

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to this forum. I have a problem with vpn keep disconnecting after a few minutes. Sometimes an hour.

My windows is always updated. My power saving mode on my network adapters is off.

I use windows 10 built in PPTP vpn. I disabled all anivirus and firewalls. And when it disconnected automatically, theres no warning or error code on eventviewer. It just said that vpn is disconnected.

What else shoud i check ?

Is there any way to keep my vpn on and not disconnected by itself?

Thank you

Best regards,
Adera

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Adera,

Do you have access to the VPN logs? If it's a VPN server that you run, you should have access to them - if it's a VPN subscription service that you use, it may be worth seeing if they offer their own VPN connection software, as it sometimes comes with a "kill switch" that disables all internet activity if the connection drops, as well as . AFAIK, the Windows VPN stack can't do this.

Reaction score
Hi!

Thx for replying. I dont have the access to the vpn logs. I rent this specific vpn for playing a game. Theres other way to connect to the vpn, its using a software called sstap. It will connect to it whether theres a packet drop or a timeout occured. But the thing is, it affects my obs and discord app. If i use windows built in vpn, i can proxify the game so discord and obs going direct to my isp.

I think what happend is theres a ping timeout on the vpn server that tells windows to disconnect. (Cmiiw)

Is there anyway to ignore that timeout and packet dropouts from the vpn? Is there anyway to keep the vpn connected whatever happens to the vpn server?

Thank you for the reply. Hope to solve the problem soon.

Best regards,
Adera

Reaction score
Yes thats might be the case.

Is there any way to ignore the timeouts? So it stays connected no matter what?

Ask a Question