What happened to recovery partition?

Reaction score
I have an HP desktop running windows 10 home. It came with windows 8 and as such I upgraded it to windows 10 ANNIVERSARY VERSION).

It also came configured with a recovery image partition and am wondering if the upgrade upgraded the recovery partition to windows 10 from 8. It would seem as the recovery image partition is nothing more than an image as can be created from the backup section but it cannot be opened or viewed..

Any advice on how i can know what the existing partition contains? Was it upgraded to reinstall windows 8 or 10? What will happen if I use the partition to restore the computer?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
So are you saying the partition has the original windows 8 image or does it contain the upgraded windows 10 image?

Reaction score
or does it contain the upgraded windows 10 image?
That would mean the partition was altered.

The purpose of the partition is to return the machine to factory condition. The partition will maintain that functionally for as long as it exist.

I don't know how else to say it, without taking the risk of saying something I don't know for sure. For example I don't know if you by some chance formatted the recovery partition during installation. I don't know for sure which version is on the partition. If the recovery came with Windows 8 and if still exist, then yes your recovery partition still has Windows 8.

I'm sorry if I was a bit cryptic, I was only trying to keep it truthfully simple and to the point. That is without questioning the integrity of your comment. I always hate having to do that, almost as much as the person I am questioning hates it.

Reaction score
Knowing how to boot into a Recovery Partition will help you to rebuild, restore, re-create, or just troubleshoot Windows problems. PC manufacturers now often partition a computer’s primary hard drive into two volumes. Drive C is the computer’s main hard drive, the one on which Windows is installed. A second, smaller drive of drive D is created on the same physical hard drive.For details see http://www.cleverfiles.com/recover-deleted-files.html you will get help,

Reaction score
The original factory recovery partition is pretty much useless if upgraded to Win 10.. After the first 30 days you lost the ability to restore back to Win 8.1.

Win 10 does the image a different way by creating an image on the fly if possible. If you have a recovery drive it already contains an image to use for resets if it won't work from within Win 10 for some reason.

The other thing about Win 10 is the License is digital and kept online. So, if you need to reinstall Win 10 in a case like a failed hard drive, you just use the install or recovery media and it will activate without needing a License key.

The only way to recover your system to its current configuration is to have a System image which is a copy of the install. You can use the install media and do an upgrade from within Win 10 and it will keep your personal programs.

Reaction score
The original factory recovery partition is pretty much useless if upgraded to Win 10.. After the first 30 days you lost the ability to restore back to Win 8.1.
That is two different recovery methods. The Recovery Partition will always function the way it was designed. It is Windows 10 that are cleans out old OS installations after 30 days, therefor removing any hope of using Windows 10 as the recovery solution. But the Recovery Partition remains intact and fully functional.

Reaction score
If you don't have a process to use the factory image, it is not functional. It may be intact but the part of the BCD Store which makes it available is no longer there.

This was the basis for most of the problems we had with the 8 to 8.1 upgrades....

Reaction score
That's when you make the recovery partition the active partition. Even if you have to use a partitioning boot disk to do so.

Ask a Question