WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR 0x124

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Windows 10 computer (HP 550-270st) with I7 - 16 Gb ram, The computer sometimes boot to home screen but will freeze then go to BSOD, Also freezes if I try to in the troubleshooting window (reset this PC, Command Prompt, Boot option, Go Back to previous version) Freezes during start up repair disk check, so im running out of options. Checked disc and memory from startup options both passed. Safe mode works fine (when Im able to get into it) I included my dump file to see if someone can help me with this issue. I was able to do a check with my drivers with my HP Assistant and Updated everything that was out of date. this issue started about 3 days after I did the windows update (but again the system freezes when I try to roll back to the previous version) HELP PLEASE!!!!! (Also Pulled one stick of memory at a time to check if there as a bad stick)

Crash Dump Analysis provided by OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc. (http://www.osr.com)
Online Crash Dump Analysis Service
See http://www.osronline.com for more information
Windows 8 Kernel Version 16299 MP (8 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff802`efc80000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff802`effe7130
Debug session time: Sun Mar 26 20:48:27.850 10299 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:18.381
* Bugcheck Analysis *

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: ffffc08392016028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 00000000be000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000800400, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: f

BAD_PAGES_DETECTED: a11c

STACK_TEXT:
fffff802`f20909e8 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module

IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

BUCKET_ID: PAGE_NOT_ZERO

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

*** Memory manager detected 41244 instance(s) of page corruption, target is likely to have memory corruption.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try reducing your installed memory to a single stick of RAM installed in your first DIMM slot, usually labeled 0 or 1 depending on manufacturer.
See if the computer boots and runs normally with a single stick of RAM.
You may have to sample more than one stick to avoid any potentially bad module.

IF that seems to provide relief from the problem then you have some work to do.

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or so.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I tried removing / swapping out the ram the problem remained the same, I pulled the hard drive last night and hooked it up externally to my other computer and did some cleaning (ccleaner, virus scans..Etc) and hooked it back up to my computer and now I am able to get back to the login screen (but system freeze shortly after loggin into the system) and into safe mode (Which I have no freezing or crashing problem in safe mode) I feel like its an issue with the os or driver comflict

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep....
Generally speaking, if Safe Mode behaves normally, it can very often indicate an issue with a driver, as safe mode loads only minimal drivers and then usually only generic versions.
What kind of video card do you have installed?
Sometimes you'll see indications of memory corruption if the video card's on board memory is bad or if the driver for that card is simply corrupt and or needs updating.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume that, that is an integrated GPU rather than an add-on card.
Still it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure you are using the latest driver just to make sure
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

YOu might want to check for chipset drivers while you are there as well as perhaps checking with HP to see if they might have a BIOS update for that specific machine.

Reaction score
Ok Thank You again for your time and help, Iast night I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool, and I got a Fail when it got to the CPUFreq.... I thought about checking my CPU cause on the original minidump I did under IMAGE_NAME: it listed GenuineIntel, Im starting to wonder if my I7 is the problem, cause I also tried a fresh hard drive and reinstalling windows and the computer froze. is there a fix for this or is the CPU fried?

Reaction score
I will have to test again using the tool, was researching and saw that I have to configure the program with Tools->Config->Edit->Parameters->CPU Frequency->%High Tolerance 100->%Low Tolerance 100 ->

but Im still leaning towards a problem with the CPU, only cause removing the hard drive and trying to install from Disc or USB the system still freezes, but its so strange cause I have no problems in safe mode ( safe mode work like a charm)

Reaction score
Also I just saw the intel just release a new driver on 03/27/2018 for I7-6700 and ill try their automated driver assistant to scan and update drivers for you intel products

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
is there a fix for this or is the CPU fried?
If there is a problem with the processor, the first thing you need to do is contact the manufacturer and determine if you have any recourse via warranty.
Other than that, the only fix for a bad processor is to replace it with a new one.
THE problem with that is, it may not be the processor it could be the processor socket or other motherboard components (chips, capacitors, solder joints, broken tracings, etc.,).

NOTE: I've been doing this for nearly 30 years and have built from scratch a lot of computers as well as performed a lot of complex repairs and rebuilds.
IN that time I have found many more catastophic failures associated with the motherboard and its' components than actual processor failures they are very rare.
NOT that it couldn't happen it is just very rare.
ill try their automated driver assistant to scan and update drivers
That's the reason I provided the link above.

Ask a Question