Can't Do A Clean Install, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR??

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve got an issue with installing Windows 10 Pro 32bit on my computer where I try to clean install windows, and after the first restart when it’s doing the ‘getting devices ready’ part, I get a blue screen- WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

A little history on this issue… I started with a clean install of 10 Pro on this computer, installation went fine, computer ran without issue. After installing all available windows updates and Firefox, I plugged in a USB guitar interface device (M-Audio JamLab), and immediately got a blue screen, then the computer restarted… I didn’t catch the error on the blue screen. I unplugged the JamLab device, same issue (pretty sure this is when I first saw the WHEA error code)

I’ve been troubleshooting to the point that I gave up and now I’ve low level formatted the drive and I’m trying to clean install 10 Pro again- same WHEA error code… the most common reasons I’ve seen for this code are incorrect voltages (ex, CPU spike), hardware issues, driver issues or windows updates.

I’ve reset the BIOS back to defaults, I don’t think drivers or windows updates are the issue since I can’t even get Windows installed, and I’ve installed Windows 7 successfully since all this happened (and plugged in the JamLab device/installed drivers successfully), so if it’s a hardware issue then it must be Windows 10 that doesn’t like it.

What baffles me, is that I was able to install 10 and run the computer with no issues, then ever since I plugged in the USB JamLab device, I can’t reinstall it- is it possible that the USB device somehow caused a hardware issue that only Widows 10 is detecting/complaining about?

I’m lost… please help!

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Hardware: AMD 4000+ CPU, Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard, 4GB RAM, 160GBx3+120GB HD in JBOD

Reaction score
Hello Matt, have you considered possibly....
Upgrading your current Windows 7 install to Windows 10 to see if that would complete successfully and then......
Attempting a clean install afterwards?
Of course, create disk images along the way so you have a strong fall back position in case of problems.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Haha you read my mind :) I'm in the process of finishing windows updates to Windows 7, then keeping my fingers crossed for an in place upgrade.. if that works and then a clean install of 10 works then I'm changing careers cause I don't understand computers anymore haha!

Reaction score
so i tried installing windows 7 and then doing an upgrade to 10, just to see if that would work.

unfortunately it wasn't successful; windows 7 starts up again to windows update with the error "windows 10 couldn't be installed 8007002C-4000D"

one interesting bit about the upgrade- it took a really long time to go through the upgrade process, particularly the copying of files at the screen with the circle and percent complete- i think i started the process Sunday night and it finished sometime last night.. maybe this has some thing to do with the JBOD? problem is, i can't use a single drive attached to any of the sata connectors because the windows installation disc doesn't recognize them for some reason. i'm wondering if i should try an add-in sata card that windows will recognize and test with a single drive..

anyways, not sure what my next steps should be.. can an upgrade be started from an install disc or usb drive?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
can an upgrade be started from an install disc or usb drive?
Sure, just run setup.exe from the DVD or USB ThumbDrive.
maybe this has some thing to do with the JBOD?
It's possible.
If you are using a raid configuration (hardware or software especially software / dynamic disks) then that might be an issue.
Have you tried the install on just a single hard drive with no other hard drives connected to the system?

Reaction score
Sure, just run setup.exe from the DVD or USB ThumbDrive.

It's possible.
If you are using a raid configuration (hardware or software especially software / dynamic disks) then that might be an issue.
Have you tried the install on just a single hard drive with no other hard drives connected to the system?
no additional software is installed for the jbod, just what windows installs.

the windows installation disc can't see a single drive plugged into the sata connectors, which is why i was thinking of trying an add in sata card as a test- since the add in card i have came with the motherboard then i'm guessing i'll get the same result- it's odd that windows doesn't recognize a single drive but will see the jbod configured on the same set of sata connectors..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
jbod usually indicates some type of raid configuration, most often a spanned volume consisting of multiple disks raid 0 stripe.
If the drive controller is set in the BIOS as "Raid" rather than one of the other possible options SATA or Native IDE that could be part of the issue.
Likewise if the hard drives are part of a raid set they will likely have been marked as such in the disk signature or possibly elsewhere (MBR maybe) IDK,
Unless there is something enormously unique about your particular drive controller, then changing it's MODE in the BIOS from raid to SATA or Legacy / Native IDE or one of the other options and using DiskPart (shift + F10 at the pick a keyboard and language screen) to "clean" the drive prior to the installation, might be a necessary step to advancing.
WARNING: DiskPart "Clean" will wipe the drive contents completely and it's usually best to make sure you have only a single drive attached or that you no how to use other disk part commands
list disk
select disk
etcetera to be absolutely sure that you are cleaning the disk you want to clean

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry my previous remark was erroneous
JBOD (which stands for "just a bunch of disks") generally refers to a collection of hard disks that have not been configured to act as a redundant array of independent disks (RAID) array.
JBOD is an alternative to using a RAID configuration. Rather than configuring a storage array to use a RAID level, the disks within the array are either spanned or treated as independent disks. Spanning configurations use a technique called concatenation to combine the capacity of all of the disks into a single, large logical disk. Although some RAID levels also concatenate disks, numbered RAID levels generally use striping or parity while JBOD does not.
Although it would still seem to refer to a disk array. I just hadn't heard the term jbod for a very long time and was confused about its' proper usage so I looked around
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/JBOD

Reaction score
I think I might be concerned about the 5 volt power on the Motherboard. Plugging in a USB device which immediately results in errors may have done damage.

But the troubleshooting fallback is to always remove any devices not necessary for the system to operate. It should be able to boot to a USB device, if that device is configured correctly.. Why Windows 7 might install where Windows 10 does not, I could only guess. But Windows 10 does handle memory differently so it may look at other components differently also.

Ask a Question